Hey, everyone. I still don’t have my machine up and running after 2+ years, mostly because I stop assembling to do stuff like this.
After tightening the gantry, hanging the Z-slider, and installing my table I took stock of the ZY tilt. It was pretty severe, and I didn’t want to use shims, losing all of that sweet contact between the slider and the carriage. I also didn’t want to rely solely on the “play” in the sideplate holes, so I made little attachment to allow for adjustment and hopefully help hold position. I wanted to avoid mods to the machine as much as possible (and could have done this without the holes if I took a little more time).
Anyway, I tend to overthink things, but this attachment worked really well on a quick test (with the router in place as well). I cut enough stock to make one for each side but I don’t think I’ll need to take it that far. A 1000mm machine might be a different story.
There would be lots of ways to execute this little tool and it could take some frustration out of the process. It seems like a common problem. Good luck out there!