Tray Carving

I’m making some shallow dish trays using a bowl bit then a one eighth bit for details. After changing to the one eighth bit and resume my carve Easel re-carves the bowl part and cuts away the quarter inch radius at the bottom and leaves a ninety degree corner. Why doesn’t it just start the detail part and leave the bowl part alone?. I can make two different drawings but I’m sure there’s a easier way.

1 Like

easel doesnt support bowl bits, so the 1/8" is doing exactly what the tool paths should when it removes the parts left by the bowl bit. If you want to use bowl bits and not have these issues, you need to use software that support that style bit.

1 Like

there really is not an easier way within Easel. You’ll need to use the multiple workpiece approach.

Due to the simplicity built into Easel in order to attract first time new users, when the user tries to do more complex carves work arounds become a requirement in order to get it to actually do what you want.

You’re going to need to either use a different software which often requires more user input to setup toolpaths, OR use the multiple workpieces. .

Hey Seth, Thanks for your feedback. That’s exactly what I did. I made two separate files, one for the roughing and a completely separate file for the details. All I had to do was change my cutter and home my Z because it went back from where it started. The original Zero. Thanks again.

1 Like

I did, I had to work around it and make two separate files. Works great.
Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.