Triquetra UGS Error

Check your GRBL setting for $6. It should be set to $6=0.

Also beck the location your ground wire is connected at the controller. If it is connected to the spindle ground then it will either read too high or not at all. Your ground should be connected to the power supply main ground which is located to the right of the spindle power connection. With your power supply turned on you should be able to read approximately 4.7 volts DC between Pin A5 on the Arduino board and the power supply ground. If not then you probably have the GRBL Setting $6 incorrect or a bad Arduino.

If you do get the 4.7 volts between A5 and ground then check between A5 and the magnet if you have one of my magnetic connectors. If you don’t get it there then you probably have a bad connection at the ground point. You can test the connector itself by using a ohm meter and checking the resistance between the magnet and the opposite end of the wire. It should read 0.00 approximately. If you get no reading at all then you have a bad magnet. You can cut that end off and attach a alligator clip in it’s place and be fine.

Let me know what you find please.

Charley

The new X-Controller has a plug on the back that connects on the inside in the same manner so I wouldn’t recommend buying the controller just for that reason alone.

Ok so rechecked today. I $6=0, I also rechecked the ground wire it is the ground next to the spindle, I checked the ground to the actual magnet and it seems fine using my multimeter, however I am still not getting a reading btw A5 and the magnet. Should I assume this could be a Arduino problem?

These are the settings I am using if anyone sees any problems that would be great.

$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=3 (dir port invert mask:00000011)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=115 (status report mask:01110011)
$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$30=1. (rpm max)
$31=0. (rpm min)
$100=39.775 (x, step/mm)
$101=39.801 (y, step/mm)
$102=187.291 (z, step/mm)
$110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=500.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=500.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=50.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=790.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=790.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=100.000 (z max travel, mm)

This is the error/alert I get when I send my file to us the Triquetra using UGS

ok

G91G0Y1
G91G0X-1
G38.2Y-1F5
G92Y2.22
G91G0Y0.125
G91G0Z0.9
G91G0Y-0.625
G38.2Z-1F5
ALARM: Probe fail
[PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000:0]
ok
G92Z0.8
G91G0Z0.125
error: Alarm lock
G91G0Y1X1

**** Finished sending file. ****

Get some breadboard jumper wire and cut it then splice it into the end use heat shrink to cover the splice.

It’s not like that anymore. I soldered an electronics L shaped pin and wrapped electrical tape around the exposed piece. Still doesn’t work.

I need to follow the directions on Charley’s update.

Likewise I shrink wrapped mine all the way to the end of the L so only the pin is exposed. I also feel a slight resistance as it’s sliding in so I would assume there is no reason it’s not making contact. Still nothing.

So it looks like your probing the X and Y axis ok but when it probes the Z axis it fails. If it is probing the X and Y then there is no reason it should fail when probing the Z. I’m thinking that you do not have your bit far enough down to start with and when it raises up to move over the top of the Z axis it is too high. The code is written so that the probing is limited to a predetermined distance. If it moves that distance and does not find the touch plate then it will produce the errors you are getting. You should always start probing with your bit as close to the work material as you can without it dragging. I try to get mine about 1/8 inch above the work material and then run the zeroing code.

Give that a shot and see if it helps.

Charley

A possible way to test Charley’s theory of the bit being to high in “Z” and it timing out.

Run the probe file a you normally would with the magnet atatched to the spindle etc.
When the z axis starts to probe lift the touch plate and contact it to the bit.
If the machine reacts as it should, lifting “Z” and retreating to the right rear a bit (at least in mine) your start point for the z axis is too high.

Actually the x/y are both unsuccessful too. Here’s a video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Pq3vQY-tPRMHpTeGRQMHh5VVk

V[quote=“BobJewell, post:33, topic:33712”]
My guess is that the magnet or the bit are not making electrical contact.
[/quote]

And we have a winner. It was actually both my vbit on the non cutting section that evidently it’s not letting it make contact it seems to have some kind of coating. Also the collet on the Dewalt must have a ceramic barrier or bushing on it because it is also not letting the charge go all the way through. I get a reading on my multi meter if I stay on the inside of the collet but if I go from the inside to the outside I get no reading.

I have to admit it’s a little frustrating that I’ve been spending day after day working on my CNC to get this figured out. And it turns out that it had pretty much nothing to do with the actual working of the CNC.

Oh well, hopefully this will help someone else figure it out with all the trouble. Thanks everyone for all the help.

It’s kind of amazing how bright that light is when it finally comes on…

1 Like