Trouble Calibrating 3.8w Laser

That has a 3W LD, but since the EmBlaser’s grbl is configured for a CoreXY belt configuration, there is a feedrate curve which I had to set the feedrate a little higher in PEP5 to compensate for it.

1 Like

Alright, so I should be good at 75ipm? I tried raising the max power, but it turned into a dark blob. Should I turn up the min power? It appears to be Furniture Grade Birch Plywood, we got a truck bed full of it for $30. I will do a single 45° line to see If I have the resolution right.

With our Shapeoko 2 and the 2.8W J-Tech, the settings we used on Birch Ply was 100IPM, 25% FRC, .006 Pixel Resolution, min 10 and a max of 255 and engraved at a 45D angle. The Feedrate was accurate without any curve with it. With the 3.8W you should be able to run at 130-140IPM, 25% FRC and max at 255. The Min needs to be increased until it starts burning the lightest shades, but not burn at all in the white areas.

1 Like

Hello again,

it has been a while since I posted about calibrating my laser, I have been busy with a lot of medical issues and such that have prevented any progress being made with it. We want to do it right this time, we felt like we kept going in circles last time, so we are looking for structured guidelines or testing procedures people use for setting changes to make in each iteration of calibration testing. Thank you for your help. We are still using pic engrave with JTECH GRBL.

Regards,
Ryan.

Here is the latest multimode grbl 1.0c firmware for laser & spindle use if you have not upgraded to it yet.
https://discuss.inventables.com/t/xcarve-jtech-grbl-update-11-12-2016/28943

1 Like

Alright, I remember hearing that someone was working on it. Are there any limitations to that version of GRBL as opposed to switching between versions? Do I have to change anything in the settings I upload or are there specific settings I should upload?

There are no limitations. Here are the instructions to setup your grbl settings in Larry’s MultiMode grbl 1.0c Firmware with the latest released version of PicSender.

You can use the X-Loader to flash the new firmware.

1 Like