Trouble with X-axis

So. Swapped pulleys, new g shield, new belt, readjust bottom wheels on X carriage. Still the same issue. I’m beyond frustrated. When I swapped the pulleys it seemed to work for a little bit. But then it went back to the original problem. Oh ya. Tried a new wore straight from controller to motor. Same issue.

Can you be more specific? Which pulley’s did you swap? From where to where?

I moved right side y to X and the X tithe right side y

Can you post your $$ output from grbl here?

$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=3 (dir port invert mask:00000011)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=1 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$100=26.705 (x, step/mm)
$101=26.652 (y, step/mm)
$102=188.976 (z, step/mm)
$110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=500.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=500.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=50.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=790.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=790.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=100.000 (z max travel, mm)

1 Like

Thanks.

Do you have jumpers on the gShield to change the micro-stepping for X and Y?

Can you post a picture of the gShield that shows how you have the jumpers installed?

[Edit] - Your values are 33 percent different from the “normal” setting for steps/mm on the X and Y axes regardless of whether you are using 1/8 or 1/4 micro-stepping.

I believe that is because I’m am running the 3mm gt2 belt. Are you referring to the steps per mm on X and y?

Yep, that would explain that.

How long did it appear to work after you changed the pulleys?

it appeard to work for a maybe an hr or two. Mainly just during the checks I’ve been running and 1 test cut. Later that evening it switched back to its anomaly.

I have loosened the belt to the point of physical slack and tightened it till i had to increase the pot to give extra power to turn it. I have turned the pot to 0 and up to 100. No change in behavior.

How long have you had your machine and how long has it been since you put the 3mm belts on?

This problem has plagued the machine since new with the gt2 2mm belts and 3mm belts and pulleys. The machine is about 4 months old I believe. Haven’t cut but maybe 10 things on it.

Do you have enough belting to replace the belt on the X axis, or are the lengths similar enough that you could move one of the Y belts to the X axis? You have replaced just about everything but the belt.

Never mind, you said it behaved the same with the 2mm belts.

Check the screws that mount the X axis Makerslide to the Y axis gantry plates. Make sure they are all tight against the plate.

Check the screws that hold down the belt clips to make sure that your belts are secured at the ends. You may want to add a bolt through the side to make sure that the non-adjusting end is held tight against the gantry plate.

I will double check. But with all the swaps and it being a consistent anomaly I don’t think there are any loose ends.

You know better than I do that some thing is not right. You’ve checked most everything and have lots of new parts. I’m just trying to think of some thing that can go wrong when you move out away from 0, but corrects itself when moving back to zero.

At this point most of my thoughts are just guesses as to what could make it work that way.

No definitely thank you for the ideas. It helps to have someone else alidade everything I’m doing to try and resolve it. I’m about at the point of given up

Just read back through your posts and it seems that your error is always a multiple of 0.5mm

Is this true, or are you rounding off the results for your posts?

It would be around ~.5mm. Hard to see that small on the ruler.

It’s really strange for the error to be that consistent.

What are you using to jog the machine, Easel, UGCS, other? (What version?)