Trouble with Z probe

After two and a half years of no trouble at all and have had perfect carvings when I went to use the z probe today and starting probing the motor went up instead of down to touch the puck.
Any ideas?

Does it do it everytime?

Yes never did this before

Manual commands drive the correct directions?

New Z upgrade installed by chance?

AND can you copy the grbl settings from machine inspector for us, its likely one of those settings thats wrong…

I had that happen after the upgrade. You can just switch one pair of wires. Which leads me to my question. Did you recently have wires come loose and you just put them back into the slots without looking to see if they went back into the same slots?

Another possible problem is with the computer. Dumping the cashe or virus software doing things?

Manuel commands did the same thing and haven’t installed any upgrades. Haven’t had to touch any of the wires since installed over two years ago and everything has been perfect. What would change the settings from one day to the next.

No loose wires and everything is still tight. Running on a MAC and was perfect yesterday. Did a four layer carve with no problem.

meaning inverted Z for manual commands too?

If Yes, use this chart, read your current $3 and adjust to make the new setting the opposite for Z … so if current settings is $3=5 then the opposite Z would be $3=1

This setting may be changed back to factory defaults during a Machine Setup if it is not the stock $3=3 … did you happen to re-do machine setup today? like maybe after a browser or windows update?

THIS IS (IN MY MIND) A MAJOR DEFECT IN THE EASEL PROCESS AND THE GRBL SETTINGS SHOULD NEVER BE AUTOMATICALLY CHANGED BY A PROGRAM WITHOUT STRICT AUTHORIZATION

When I tried to do a set up manually when I pressed the button to raise the bit a little it raised it over an inch. I did try to do a new machine setup but the same thing happened.
Maybe I’ll try pouring coffee all over the controller in the morning to see if it wakes up. :slight_smile:

This is also another symptom that the grbl settings were also changed, but the distance of the Z is controlled by the $102 setting. So If you can clarify what the $3 and the $102 settings are and whether you have the stock Z axis (not a CNC4Newbie or any other Z axis upgrade from stock) that would help in explaining what happened and what the correct values are to rectify the issue.

One more question: Did you, in the past day or 2 have to go through the “Machine Setup” again, this is where you have to tell Easel what type on CNC it is, the size, the type of lead screw used and a handful of other settings?