Two stage carves

Not all bits cut to their desired diameter. Check your 1/8" bit. There are manufacturing tolerances on the bits.

Take a piece of scrap, cut a straight line and then use a caliper to measure the line width as cut.

I know your post was quite awhile agoā€¦ Im just getting my xcarve up and running and Im experiencing the same problem with the detail pass. My rough cut is a simple circle at a 1/8 depth with a 1/8" bit then the detail bit was a design within the circle set at a slightly deeper depth with 1/16" size bit. The detail pass seems to carve air for quite awhile before it actually gets to my set depth. I tried a second time and reset the zprobe to the depth of my circle thinking it would now carve my detail pass without carving airā€¦ then of course it cut too deep and broke my bit. How do I set my easel project so the detail pass isnā€™t wasting time carving air? Im hoping since its been awhile youā€™ve figured this out. Thank youā€¦ Caron

I havenā€™t figured anything out with this specific issue. Hopefully, someone more in the know than me will pop in and shed some light on it. Sorry I couldnā€™t help.

I know that Two stage carving is out of Beta. But Iā€™m not sure where else to post this.
Iā€™ve been playing around with two stage craving and Iā€™m running into an issue. When I create something that is cutout it always tries to use the detail bit for the cutout. This takes way too long with small end mills or adds a bunch of clean up if itā€™s v-bit (the outside edge is \ slopped at 30 or 45 degrees). The funny thing is the ā€œroughā€ preview looks right itā€™s not till you generate a detailed preview that it either drops the perimeter cut (if the slot is thinner than say the V-bit) or shows the angled sides. The whole time this happens I have Tabs on So even if it cut the perimeter first the piece should be held solid enough for the details to be carved (or Iā€™ll learn to make bigger tabs!). I love the two step carving but thereā€™s still a few bugs to work out. Iā€™m happy to share some sample projects that show both the deletion of the perimeter cut and the angled cut if it would help. Over all Easel is getting better! I use it to do simple quick Objects that are more artistic than exact Love the easy of use.

Thanks,
Bruce

This is a known ā€œproblemā€. Your best solution is to duplicate the design into another workpiece and have the second piece do the cutout.

That was my work around. But that really make the two stage carving less useful. Almost worthless.