Two stage cuts

Could you add me to the access please. Thanks

@JasonCampbell you’ve been added.

I just noticed that there are now three colors for the tool paths?

Also, when I select a shape by clicking on a line, they move slightly. Not so if clicking inside.

Hi Tony,

Are you referring to the blue, green and red lines? If so, those refer to the areas that will be cut by the roughing bit, the detail bit, and the areas where the machine is not cutting. I provided a little more info on this in the original post on this thread:

Are these the same lines you are clicking on when you see the shapes move?

Jeff

No.That was two items: a question, and, a statement. :wink:

The “moving shapes” happens when I click on the shape outline. If I click inside the shape, it’s fine.

@JeffTalbot After using the two stage cut feature for a week, I have one suggestion.

It would be nice to be able to be able to specify a unique “depth per pass” for the rough pass and for the detail pass. I have been using a very small 1/32 bit for some of the detail passes and I really need to reduce the depth for those cuts. I can just go in and manually adjust before I start the detail pass but sometimes I forget, If it is two hard to have separate depths then a change to validate the depth (like you do with the bit) would be very helpful.

There may also be an issue with the detail pass tool path since I have noticed that in some cases it spends some time tracing paths that do not actually cut any wood. These non cutting passes are usually were it is tracing just inside a profile but perhaps a 32nd of an inch away from the edge of the profile. At first I though maybe I had moved the spindle a bit, but as the bit went around the inside of the rectangular profile it maintained the same distance from the edge. It may also be an issue with the bit not being exactly the size it is labeled.

But other than that the two stage cuts continue to work great.

@JeffTalbot Looks like a great feature can you add my account to that one as well thanks.

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Warren,

You have access to this feature now.

Hmm. Ok. That’s probably unrelated to this feature. Can you send me a link to a project and shape that this happens on? I can’t seem to reproduce it easily.

It’s in every project that I have.

The way I do it is I usually drill a notch at my zero point. After the roughing pass Easel returns to the original zero. I jog the spindle up and carefully change the bit with the motors locked. Then I jog it down to the Z-zero point and run the detail pass. The notch is there in case I lose the x/y zero.

If you use Easel to jog back down to zero, how do you know when you are there?

A numerical readout in Easel would be way cool for this.

Since he (and I do it the same) changed the bit, the Z-Zero is no longer right. So when he jogs it down, he sets it to the height of the surface of the material and then re-confirms a new home position instead of using last home…

He mentions a notch/hole at zero. It seems like it would be tough to zero below the work surface.

The hole is for X and Y alignment, and the Z-zero is still set at the original work surface.

So you align the new bit with the center of the hole in the X and Y directions if they aren’t already there and then lower or raise the bit to the material’s top surface.

I just used this trick for multiple Easel projects where one carves a pocket with a small bit, the other carves an outline of the outer cut with a V-bit and the final project cuts the outer cut all the way through. Each time (or if I shut off the machine and came back to it later) I would make sure that the 0 position was set the same by using this little hole as a reference.

I would like to try it please

Hi Ryan,

I gave you access.

Could you add me to the testing group please

And while you’re adding the guy above me, add me too. :smile:

@JohnWhittaker and @TimKettering, you guys have access.