UGS hangs on Linux Mint 20 Xcfe

Hi Folks,

I know this is an obscure one, but I thought I’d start here before opening an issue on the github.

I’m using a fresh install of Linux Mint 20 on a HP Elitedesk G4

PC link: TigerDirect Sunset

I’ve checked that arc expander is off. And I’ve given UGS 2048m in the config file.

Still, UGS hangs partway through long jobs and reports the controller as “offline.” This problem is not reproducible on the Windows partition.

I haven’t used the non reparenting flag yet as I believe that doesn’t apply to Xfce but I could be wrong :man_shrugging:t2:

I’d like to be able to make the jump to Linux for my Gcode sender. But this issue has forced me back to Windows.

Any thoughts?

Best,
-Vic

Try something other than UGS?

Is there a similarly featured sender that works well with Linux that you know of?

Yes

2 Likes

Of all the places to troll… you waste your time being a tool to people in the xcarve forum? Why bother?

Hey @SamuelVictorLederman, I’m not sure what you mean. I responded quickly as I had a free second before getting my kids ready for bed.
My response above is a link to CNCjs. It runs on Linux without issue.
I may be a tool, but I’m a useful one. Maybe you don’t know how to use this tool. :wink:

1 Like

Yes
And here I just thought you were being a smartass, Yes… :flushed: :joy:

1 Like

@SamuelVictorLederman seems to me for someone that has just joined the forums you are not wanting help. I believe @NeilFerreri1 was trying to help you. Maybe you should rethink your attitude.

I think it’s just easy to miss a link, especially when there’s not really any context. I’d go back and edit the post, but then the rest of the thread wouldn’t make sense.

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

definitely missed the link! :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll take a look at that for sure. But right now, UGS is working for me… just not on linux :man_shrugging:t2:

I’d prefer to get UGS working over learning another sender (though they’re really all pretty similar I guess).

I’ll have to download cncjs and give it a whirl. But that said, I’m still hoping to get UGS working. I like the feel of it.

1 Like

I’ve tried them all. I kept coming back to CNCjs. I like bCNC as well, but the UI leaves some to be desired.
I don’t think you’ll have any issues leaving UGS.

1 Like

Huh? Why is he being a tool? He’s linking to a free open-source tool that does the same task as UGS as an alternative.

I prefer the UI in CNCJS over UGS (and running Node.js versus the full Java VM is so much lighter a system load on the mini-pc I use for my x-carve) - and I say that as a Java J2EE programmer.

BTW: I could not get the docker image version of CNCJS to work (which is a shame as that is such a better way to make this stuff work as it’s all one little contained environment, but weirdly the docker instance gave me a Node library version error (like would the linked libraries be on the docker image?; that’s the whole point of containers people is to not have to worry about what is on the host machine software-wise). I have a stock ubuntu 20.04 install so you’d think that would be setup pretty compatibly but I guess not.

Reread the thread and it will make sense.

“I prefer the UI in CNCJS over UGS” It does look nice. Hopefully I’ve be able to give it a spin in the next few days.

My next task is to figure out how to get the webcam widget in cncjs to do timelapses like I do for my 3D printer in octoprint (I mean obviously you can’t do z-layer triggering, but even a simple time-based time lapse would be cool - lots of people ask when I bring them the sign if I have a “how it was made” video…

You don’t need CNCjs for that.

I understand there are many tools to do that in linux. For instance I could run “motion” and it would in theory do that, amongst others. I’m just saying since the purpose of CNCJS is to run a CNC mill, and there is a webcam widget, it seems the widget could be a tad more useful. I find time lapses one of the better debugging tools for 3D printing. And while I can’t imagine you can make one (I’m sure someone can prove me wrong) tools like the Spaghetti Detective can watch your time-lapse shots in realtime and using ML detect impending doom for a print and stop it (saved me many a birds nest overnight). Plus for teaching it is cool of course, and for people getting a work piece kind of neat to show the making-of video. I’ve mostly done it with a GoPro and using time lapse. One problem there is you often run out of battery during a 10 hour carve or whatever.

I have a go pro mount for doing that in my Tormach, and the challenge there was flood coolant on the lens. So I created a 3D clip on air-blast attachment that blows the air off the lens from above whenever the coolant pump is active (see video below) using an aquarium air pump (somewhat quiet and good for continuous flow rather than my compressor that runs the ATC and power drawbar would not be happy, plus it could drop the pressure sufficiently doing this such that the ATC or drawbar fail during a tool change. [even worse I had a defective pressure switch on my ATC so support had me bypass it, so it wouldn’t sense an under-pressure - I have to admit I almost always do manual tool changes - with the power draw bar and tool holders it’s such a nothing problem unlike the X-carve where tool changes are like defusing a motion sensitive bomb, one because there is no force needed and 2 even if you bump against the z-column it weighs several hundred pounds and of course is rigidly locked in X-Y since the table moves rather than the z-column like on the x-carve.

Of course using the GoPro turned up another problem which I describe/solve in this video:

1 Like