Ultimate Dust Boot for X-Carve with the Dewalt Router

Great idea - it works for me.

Peter

1 Like

Hi @New_Brit_Workshop and @DanBrown,

Yes, I am concerned about the weight of the hose as well; both in terms of both the weight on the X-axis makerslides, as well as the torque on them resulting from the hose being supported far away from the makerslides. Iā€™d like to go with at least one 2-1/2" dust collector hose, but I have some ShopVac hose laying around that is around 1-7/8" to 2" diameter and I am thinking of using two of those, one on each side of the router, tucked in as close as possible to the X-axis makerslide to minimize the torque.

Iā€™ve seen the KentCNC design, where the hose is located in front of the router, but I like Peterā€™s design better, where the hose is closer to the X-axis. Another design I considered was simply screwing the dust shoe into the bottom of the Z-axis makerslide (the self-tapping screws), but then you lose Z-axis clearance, and have a completely non-adjustable solution.

My main run of ductwork goes directly above the X-carve, diagonally, but right now the nearest drop is off to the side, almost at table height. Iā€™m planning on reworking the ductwork so the drop is about three feet above the wasteboard, roughly in the center, and having the minimal length of hose to cover the entire area. Iā€™m also hoping that the suction will help counteract the weight of the hose when the dust collector is on. But Danā€™s bungee idea may also be needed to take up the slack.

I am going to have to experiment here. My X-controller is coming soon so this will be part of several upgrades that I am going to do at once.

Thanks for all the ideas!

1 Like

Much Appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone

I have now added a .dxf version of the drawing file at the top as some people have older versions of CAD software. I saved it in AutoCAD R14 compatible dxf format which dates back about 20 years.

Peter

I assume folks have seen The new Brit Workshopā€™s new design (itā€™s a change, he posted it this week) directly on the gantry while preserving z-axis movement?

You can see it here

1 Like

Yes, this thread is about the very latest design.

Peter

Hi Everyone

I am just finishing the editing of a 3 part video series which describes the design process for the Ultimate Dust Boot using VCarve Pro. I am hoping that it will provide a useful tutorial of the software as well as showing my design approach for this particular project.

I will post the links when the work is done - probably within the next 48 hours.

Peter

2 Likes

I have now uploaded the three videos that describe the design process for the Ultimate Dust Boot using VCarve Pro. I have tried to make them useful not only to people making the Ultimate Dust Boot but also for anyone looking at the design process with VCarve Pro. Here are the links:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Cheers,

Peter

4 Likes

We just cut G10 plates with our X-Carve and donā€™t work with wood. Do you sell this as a kit?

1 Like

Hi Chuck,

No I do not sell these but you are free to take a copy of any of the files and give them to someone else to make for you.

Alternatively, perhaps one of the 50 plus people in the US that have the plans already might volunteer to make one for you for a small fee.

Everything I do is free of charge - but those people who want to support my work are invited to buy my e-book from Amazon :+1:

Peter

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Peter.

You do great work, I enjoyed your videoā€™s. Which e-book would you like?

From the OP:

ā€œIf anyone wants to help me in return then all I ask is that you consider buying a copy of my ebook ā€œStone Messageā€ from Amazon, It is a mystery thriller and only 99 pence in the UK. Many thanks.ā€

He has a book on Amazon heā€™s selling.

Sorry, its early in the morning here.

Hi Peter if I could get a copy of the plans that would be appreciated.

darren.willsmore@endeavour.sa.edu.au.

Ceers
Darren

Hi Darren

The plans are on the way. Do let me know if you need any advice. How about posting a picture of the finished dust boot?

Good luck.

Peter

Hi Robert,

The plans are on the way.

Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter, I would like to have a copy of your dust boot. My email is rparris31@comcast.net. By the way, you make the best you tube videos! I truly enjoy them.

Hi Roger,

The plans are on the way.

Peter

Does anyone know where I an source the bristles?