Unexpected noise in the middle of the night

I woke up to a loud whining noise last night that sounded like it was coming from outside. I rolled over and went back to sleep, but my wife couldn’t so she got up to investigate. Apparently, my dewalt 611 router on the xcarve had turned on by itself, weird. I suppose the force had awakened in it as well.

That’s creepy! Is your router hooked up through a relay?

That is scary and dangerous. Please let us know what caused it.

Nope, no relay. I suspect that the rocker switch never made it to the fully off position. It is the only thing I can come up with. I’ve not personally looked at it yet, I had a pretty quick morning to get out the door.

I work at a CNC manufacturer and I thought this would at least be a good PSA to disconnect your routers when changing tools, you never know what could happen.

Yes, that bubble cover over the button can easily cause that switch to sit on the mid point. I’ve done it as well.

I’ve had that happen to me before with a 611, I thought I turned it off, but only flipped the switch part way and set it down, 10 minuter later it started up all by itself.

******* ALWAYS UNPLUG BEFORE CHANGING BITS *********

Indeed! I’ve seen too many people in this business with missing fingers. Tools need respect, they are no joke.