Update for 3D Testers

Not Having mm will be hard for some of us…

2 Likes

Coming soon!

2 Likes

The major obstacle for me is not having the ability to set the machine home in the center of the project (or anywhere else other than 0,0 for that matter)
MeshCam allows the user to pick one specific area for machining rather than trying to cut out the entire project with one bit and one roughing path.
I think adding an option for “machine region” parameters, and a bit home would make a significant improvement to this software.
So far the experience I’ve had is pretty good, and I would be happy to abandon my middleman CAM once all the kinks are smoothed out!

I can’t seem to find any STL files smaller than 68MB in my files and 20 MB is Max through Easel

1 Like

any recommendations on where to find any decent STL files that’s under 20 MB… that might be interesting?

1 Like

you can go here to lower the size of your files https://myminifactory.github.io/Fast-Quadric-Mesh-Simplification/. Inventables recommended it to me.

2 Likes

Thank you sir!

1 Like

Yes i hope this is something that will be addressed by them.

Results of 3D Test
Not sure why it cut out the material…I Didn’t see any inverted options 3D Test Results

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UKjfgwIuwYCwKyNpGbIhAgZaauLIgCPV/view?

usp=drivesdkhttps://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/aV6lczwcd4qv

Good evening. I am currently awaiting some bits to start my journey into 3D carving. In the meantime I have been playing around with the program learning how to adjust the settings, manipulate the files, etc. So far haven’t had any issues. Seems pretty easy to navigate. I have a few files now that I have worked on and look forward to carving my first 3D carve.
Ray Kiser
Bicentennial Woodworks

2 Likes

to smash files to a usable mb 20 and under use mesh simplification myminifactory its a github page just google mesh simplification by miminifactory and now you can carve them not the best but better than a sharp stick to the eye. heres the link
https://myminifactory.github.io/Fast-Quadric-Mesh-Simplification/

your welcome enjoy
So the minimum file size allowed needs doubled at the least.
i have some extremely amazing relief models around 800+mb no other program limits file size
so please increase that soon so we can carve with real detail
thank you and your welcome sticky that mesh reducer its free and works better and faster than most sites or programs
good luck

2 Likes

@StephenPaul you mentioned doubling the file size. In your experience, would something around 100 MB provide enough triangles in terms of detail for a carving which would fit within the machine sizes typically used?

1 Like

i was just saying that most of the models ive found on like thingiverse etc etc are over the 20mb file size, a 100 mb would change the area of items that would be possible to make but with a large file size the detail increases and that goes the same for time that a model would take to actually carve out. so with any carving time is a thing that matters. i am currently down to a 10 pack of 2.3mm ball nose bits as my larger ones are old and dull now. and roughing with a 4flute flat end mill is just rough on the lil router11 so i am currently just sol until sales pick up again.

1 Like

Yes, I would like to have file size larger then 20 mb and be able to center material for carving
Pete

1 Like

100mb would be great! I do about 40 carves a month, sometimes more. I think the largest STL I have is around 85mb for the most part.

I’m having a hard time loading files and generating tool paths. It takes hours to generate toolpaths to turn around and make adjustments then spend hours again to regenerate. I’ve pretty much put 3d on hold because it’s holding up production on normal products.

I have a 235 MB stl file i am trying to simplify but can’t get the tool to accept it. I can do smaller files fine but for some reason this one won’t open. Any ideas? Can there be something in the file preventing me from modifying it? I purchased it from a commercial site.

1 Like

Gordon,

the limit is 100 mb upload

1 Like

Ken I understand Easel will only accept under 100 MB file. I am trying to get the recommended simplification tool to accept it to make it smaller

1 Like