Update for 3D Testers

i was just saying that most of the models ive found on like thingiverse etc etc are over the 20mb file size, a 100 mb would change the area of items that would be possible to make but with a large file size the detail increases and that goes the same for time that a model would take to actually carve out. so with any carving time is a thing that matters. i am currently down to a 10 pack of 2.3mm ball nose bits as my larger ones are old and dull now. and roughing with a 4flute flat end mill is just rough on the lil router11 so i am currently just sol until sales pick up again.

1 Like

Yes, I would like to have file size larger then 20 mb and be able to center material for carving
Pete

1 Like

100mb would be great! I do about 40 carves a month, sometimes more. I think the largest STL I have is around 85mb for the most part.

I’m having a hard time loading files and generating tool paths. It takes hours to generate toolpaths to turn around and make adjustments then spend hours again to regenerate. I’ve pretty much put 3d on hold because it’s holding up production on normal products.

I have a 235 MB stl file i am trying to simplify but can’t get the tool to accept it. I can do smaller files fine but for some reason this one won’t open. Any ideas? Can there be something in the file preventing me from modifying it? I purchased it from a commercial site.

1 Like

Gordon,

the limit is 100 mb upload

1 Like

Ken I understand Easel will only accept under 100 MB file. I am trying to get the recommended simplification tool to accept it to make it smaller

1 Like

Gordon,

it can be done, but you lose the quality of the stl . already tried it in Vectric

1 Like

I use blender for files too large for myminifactory… (anything over about 200mb)
Using the Decimate tool the mesh size can be reduced.

And I use carvco the free 3-month version to import a big file no matter what the size it doesn’t matter and then just go click relief and click 3D mesh export and it’ll export that file that you can’t seem to compress down enough in file size but not losing the quality of the mesh is the most important part of being able to compress these files without having quality loss within the STL. The exported file is extremely small compared to your original import into carvco. 100 MB or more file will probably be less than 10 MB depending on how complex your mesh is so there’s the other way to get your super quality STL file into easel without having quality lost but massively and I mean massively reducing the files storage size enjoy

I have used the 3D software for several projects and there is a flaw in the software. When you do the rough cut then come back and do finishing cut the software asks if you want to return to normal cutting or do a repeat of rough cut. If you return to normal you lose the keyboard commands for the cutting head and have to use a mouse to move it.

When the beta version was out you could select a y style of engraving {front to back} and a blue box would show you where the engraving would be done. It would be great if this was a option and configurable/moveable/sizeable. Then you could select it to do a third pass with a smaller bit and not have to wait hours/time to get to the one spot that needs more detail.

Also when you have a object taller than the material thickness the preview shows that will the design above the surface interferes with engraving even knowing there is no material
there. Therefore you can’t do slicing of a object, to stack to make a 3d object. Which would be nice.

Vcarve doesn’t have a limit. Ive done over a 1GB stl. Are you saying easel caps at 100mb?

1 Like

yup, Vcarve starts slowing around 1.5g. Easel still needs a little more work 2.5 relief carving

1 Like

Correct, because Easel saves your design onto their servers and uploading a large file can cause issues both with a network connectivity issue as well as server storage space costs when multipled across the entire user base. Inventables has limited the file size for stls to 100mb currently… it was acrually 20mb at the very start of thw 3d workspace testing…

There are many ways to take a 1gb stl and shrink it to under 100mb though

1 Like