Updated version of Halftoner posted - V1.6

Thank-you for a great program.
One thing you might consider is the ability to output a bitmap file for laser etching.

1 Like

Jason - I just switched to these 60 degree bits - they last 10 times longer than the big box bits and are cheaper. Plus, they work great in metals. Just an FYI:

1 Like

awesome! Thanks Jason!

Woot more things to play with.

I can get it loaded into USG as a text file but when I run it, the Z axis moves but the X and Y don’t. I get an error at the startup saying N110, T1,M06 unsupported

I have heard that there are issues with the latest version of USG, so depending on which one you have that could be it. Check here: USG T1M6 error

Let me make sure I’m doing this right I loaded my image and got it how I wanted. Then I saved the g code and loaded that file into USG. I saved a dxf as well but Aspire locked up every time I tried to calculate it

I was having issues with the nightly build of UGS when I had the Tool change g-code in the file (T1M06)…removing this stopped the odd behavior.

Where do I change this?

That’s not uncommon - It’s not actually locking up, it’s just taking a REALLY long time. Aspire & VCarve don’t do a good job with lots of small paths. My guess is that the part of their code that figures out which paths overlap / intersect is comparing every path to every other path, which is grossly inefficient, but would only show up as a problem if you had thousands of paths instead of a few dozen. Try selecting a sub-group of the paths (like, do a quarter of the image at a time) and it’ll likely be ok. By grouping them manually you’re kind of telling Aspire / VCarve “these paths have nothing to do with those ones over there, so ignore them”.

It’s also possible that you need to join the DXF vectors first. This is likely only a problem if you’re importing something other than just dots, because I have to use a combination of lines and arcs to represent the image, and I can’t figure out how to tag them as a single connected path in a DXF.

If you can get USG to work with the GCode from Halftoner it’ll be easier overall. It’s much simpler for me to generate the GCode because I have more information about what you’re doing than Aspire can - the paths will be more optimal and will hunt around less.

You can remove it from each g-code file (it is just a text document so notepad or wordpad works fine)

or if Halftoner allows changing the header of the g-code it produces, remove it from there.

It’s not an option in Halftoner (yet) but you can easily remove it with a text editor. Open up the gcode file in Notepad or something, delete the line that contains the T1 M06 code (there should only be one, near the top of the file) and save it back out.

Ok yea I have looked at it so I know where to go from there. I just wanted to make sure that was right. Jason, you also said something about using mm instead of inches in an earlier post. Would that help me any here? I will try to delete that line when I get home and see how that works. Thanks guys!

it’s possible - I’ve heard of people having issues when using USG with Imperial measurement source data. If you’re more comfortable in Inches that’s fine, just switch to mm in Halftoner just before you export GCode and it should translate everything for you.

Ok thanks. I will report back and let you know

How old is it? I haven’t gotten a newer version in several months

I think mine is a little newer than that. It actso a little different but it still cuts good so I haven’t worried with it

1 Like

I believe mine is 2.0 as well. For some reason mine doesn’t work that way though

I went in and edited the text file and it’s still doing the same thing not sure what I’m doing wrong here

I got it to work by saving it in mm. Pretty cool software. Thanks Jason Dorie!

1 Like