Upgrade Guidance

I was planning on buying one of these down the road but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Just ordered. Thanks for the push!

I have increased height y-axis end plates, will the 5-6" travel version allow me to reach the bed with the increased y-axis height?

Holy Smokes! CNC4Newbies has already shipped my Linear Rail Z-Axis! they even messaged me to confirm that they drilled and tapped the appropriate bolt patterns for the x-carve and my dewalt spindle holder. It should be delivered by Friday. what a turn around! I can’t wait to get it all setup!

So much for upgrading over time. it looks like I have now purchased all of the upgrades that were suggested. Now what do I do? haha

Thanks for all of the help from everyone. I will post as I get the upgrades completed.

2 Likes

Ok so I got the linear z axis, the new motors, and the new belts all installed. This machine is becoming beastly.

Now I’m working on building g the new controller. I have an unused computer case that I’m planning on mounting the controller in for now. I’m just trying to layout the components and plan accordingly for my available space.

2 Likes

Ok so I got the controller built this past weekend and mounted in a spare computer case that I had.

I have spent some time calibrating all of the steps/mm and directions and will hopefully get to try some carving tonight.

5 Likes

I really like the 45deg layout. Building something that works as expected AND looks nice is a great accomplishment.

Yea. I initially angled everything to give me more vertical space but it turned out looking nice too. I’m very pleased with it.

I finally was able to get UGS working too. Was never able to get it to connect before. Just waiting on some new t-slot nuts for the aluminum bed so I can clamp to it.

What dl you use instead of the waste board?

How do you ordered the direct drive Z axis with the increased height?

I used aluminum T-track from Misumi for the new waste board.

I just ordered the cnc4newbies linear rail z-axis for 5-6" of travel.

1 Like

Just did the same. Couldn’t resist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have a clue on what settings I will need to change in the X-Controller that is configured for an ACME ROD? Any steps x mm?

hmmm really interesting

Use @PhilJohnson s excel calculator. It will help a lot. Second item down on his page

1 Like

So I’ve added a few more upgrades to the machine. Almost up and running just waiting on a few more parts which got delivered today.

Single piece x axis installed
1.5 kw watercooled spindle installed
2.2kw vfd
Jtec laser 2.8 watt(still need to make a mount to work with the new spindle)

I had to make a new mount plate for my cnc4newbies z-axis to fit the larger 80mm spindle mount.

Ok. Time for some further update and maybe I can get some help from folks on an issue I am seeing.

First, updates:
The watercooled spindle is operational at this point and my desire to cut aluminum took me to build an enclosure and also add flood cooling.

With this, I removed all of the connections through the terminal blocks and sealed the wires inside the enclosure.

My enclosure is just a simple 2020 rail box with plexi panels.

Now I am having some good success cutting my aluminum parts lately along with running my first facing ops.

My cut setting are as follows:
Fusion 2d adaptive: 40 ipm, .75” doc 24000rpm, .01 optimal load, 3/8” 3 flute zrn coated endmill. .05” radial stock to leave.
Followed by 2d contour with 4 .01” roughing passes and then 2 .005” finishes passes and repeat final pass.

The results are pretty good. The machine handles most of the cutting without a sweat.

The issue I am having is that it’s my y axis movement. Anytime there is y axis movement, the machine stutters a bit. This causes pretty rough surface and even some gouges. Now the light contour passes help remove these but they are still apparent while surfaces in the x axis are fantastic. X axis is along the long direction of the part, y is in the shorter direction.

I did experiment with increasing federate and that did seem to help a bit but I got to 80ipm and am not sure I want to really go much faster than that.

My spindle is pretty dang square shown by my facing op. It’s not 100% perfect but it’s really close.

I know some folks here do some pretty heavy aluminum work and could probably help me out.

I don’t think it is a MRR concern as the machine is great in the x direction. It is only in the y direction that this problem arises. But with the y axis having 2 steppers, it seems unlikely that they are bogging down.

I’m thinking it could potentiall have to do with the x axis twisting during y axis moves. But I have the single piece x and newbies z along with the axle mod for the v wheels. Although I can certainly still feel deflection about the x.

Appreciate any help or feedback on the machine progress.

Cory

1 Like

The spindle flex (rake) during Y-motion. It could also be enhanced if the spindle isn’t exactly perpendicular to the surface.
Your gantry is small in dimension and will flex.

This is what i was thinking. which leads to the next set of upgrades…

I have Open builds C-beam, ballscrews, and linear rails waiting to be installed. but i need to make new X and Y axis endplates for everything.