Upgraded Z-Axis Design

@Phantomm This looks great but unfortunately it won’t fit with the linear rod axis – the assembly simply can’t be made narrow enough the way I’ve designed it. The only way to make it narrower would be to put the bearings directly behind the motor mount but this comes with its own issues (reduced Z travel, additional leverage against the X rail which is especially bad for those who don’t have the 1-piece rail). I have a lot on my plate right now (just found out a package of critical parts went missing at UPS warehouse among other things) but I’ll definitely make an effort to acquire a Suckit and see how I can build an adapter kit for it. I’m thinking it would likely consist of an alternative means of mounting the T-slots as well as spacers to go between the arms and the boot itself.

I do have my own idea for a fixed-height dust boot that would be a major departure from Suckit / Inventables kits but considering I have plenty of other things to finish designing and prototyping (direct drive etc.) there’s only so much I can do. I may consider offering a simple spindle-mounted dust boot I made a while back for sale very cheaply for buyers of my Z-axis to allow for some dust collection capability until I can design an adapter for the fancier ones.

1 Like

Any updates?

I just took some photos of my product sample unit :slight_smile: This one is spray painted but the final ones will be black anodized which I think should look a lot nicer. I am still trying to juggle a lot of things (ecommerce set-up, production milling, getting fasteners and other off the shelf parts in, etc.) but it shouldn’t be too much longer before I have a batch ready to go :smiley:

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! What did you end up using as your bearing surface? Is the bearing going to be replaceable?

Looks amazing! Still VERY excited to get one. Keep up the good work! :smiley:

@JeremyHanks I am using Delrin bushings. They are pressed in with an extremely tight fit. They are then reamed to the size of the shaft since they come with the ID slightly under-sized. Replacing them is just a matter of pressing out the old one (I can probably make a cheap plastic or aluminum tool to do this), pressing in the new one (can be done in a vise or arbor press) and reaming to size with a 1/2" hand reamer. I am including a little tube of synthetic PTFE-embedded grease with each one to lubricate the bushings. It shouldn’t be strictly necessary but it may help reduce wear a bit.

Ok I’ve got my web store up. Those who wish to do so may pre-order – I have the release date set to 6/26 but I am working really hard to get the first batch ready well before then. I may also include an extra little bonus for those who pre-order :wink:

http://store.knucleon.com/zplunge-linear-slide-assembly/

2 Likes

Is this belt drive or direct drive?

@UbaidAli This is designed to use the belt drive components from the base X-Carve machine. I am working on a design for direct drive add-on but it is not ready yet. Upgrading from the belt drive to direct drive will be a very quick and simple process.

Thanks nice build

I’m in!
FYI I hit a little snag during the checkout process, I’ll PM you with details. (I was able to get the order placed though so I’m good)

Snag as well.

@DavidAnnetta I think the PayPal option should be fixed.

fixed thanks

Any hints on the pre order extra? Could push a reluctant customer like myself over the preorder edge :wink:

Will you ship to Canada? I’m looking at my options for a new z…

Yes I will ship international – I am currently offering shipping by USPS (mail) services as those are likely the most affordable. If you want to check other services the package origin will be East Rutherford, NJ, USA, 07073 and the package should be 12" x 12" x 4" approx. 4.5lb (305mm x 305mm x 102mm, 2kg). If other services such as UPS, FedEx, etc. offer a better price than USPS First Class International or Priority International then I can look into setting up those services.

i knew I moved money out of my paypal too soon… oh well, it’ll be replenished by the weekend. I need this before i do the screw drive upgrade

I am using anodizing which is not that expensive. It also adds a much harder surface coating to the aluminum which helps prevent scratching, corrosion, etc. And it looks pretty :slight_smile:

I could always sell some non-anodized units for maybe $10 less each if people really want to pinch pennies but I’d like to deliver a nice product.

1 Like

Coating one’s parts with powder can greatly cut back on chafing… or so I am told

4 Likes