Upgraded Z axis with cnc4newbie ebay slide

A few days ago, I ordered a Z axis slide from the CNC4NEWBIE store on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272686042076 and just got it installed. I’m posting this in the hopes it helps somebody else.

First, the slider is rock solid, and I couldn’t be happier. I believe that the particular model I ordered has a different screw than the other ones (I kept running across a number of $102=50.059, but that did not work for me at all. I wound up around $102=248 though I still need to dial that in.

Anyway, since I was putting the thing together I made a quick video to help anyone who might be on the fence about getting one of these. I’ve already made a few quick carves and noticed a remarkable difference.

Check the video here.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m contemplating this same upgrade, but thinking about the 8 inch version.

I have one too as an upgrade. It is a beautiful piece of machining.

I just got mine last week and planning to upgrade after the new year.

Yes. The main one that is sold on his website for the Xcarve (Xcarve SLIDER) is 3.175 turns per inch whereas the one you bought is 16 turns per inch.

Given you’re still at 2X microstepping, the 16 turns per inch should be around 252.16 steps/mm if I did the quick math right, so 248 is in the ballpark.

You may not be able to run the Z axis as fast due to the slower screw (will require a much higher rpm to go faster) but it’s still better than stock.

2 Likes

Thank you for your awesomeness! I plugged those numbers in and I am good to go!!!

I have the same one with the 16 turns per inch screw. What is a good value for the z acceleration?

That should get you close.