Upgrading to next CNC machine

Looking good.

Two quick comments.

Are the blocks HGL15? HGH20? I was wondering whether you could save 2 blocks and go with 4 on the Y axis instead of 6. The smallest ones (HGL15) are rated at 11.38kN dynamic load each. It’s likely that something else will break/fail way before you exceed 4x this threshold. Maybe save the extra for when you make your own Z axis? :wink:

Have you thought of somehow bracing your X plates L’s?

The blocks are HGH20CA. There are two per Y rail and 4 for the X gantry. In the pics there are some extra blocks on the Y rails because one of the places I ordered from ended up sending fake Hiwin blocks, they fit the rail like crap and wiggled under my own force. I left them on in haste when I got the real Hiwin blocks in the mail.

If I understand the bracing question correctly, I have that covered. I have two (for each side) 80/20 90deg brackets for each “L” on the end plates. They are 40 series brackets with 4 holes per face. I’ll add a pic with them to verify we are on the same page.

Jer

These ones?

1 Like

Yep that’s it.

Perfect.

I’ll tell the royal advisor @ErikJanssen to prepare the “approved” stamp. I got one recently. It makes you feel accomplished.

1 Like

Another few hours this weekend and I have both of the Y rail rack and pinions assembled and installed as well as the plates and supports for the linear bearing mounted. I was finally able to assemble the whole gantry again and begin working on probl m solving the X axis rack and pinion. Which I’m pretty sure I solved about 5 minutes ago.

Update pic:

4 Likes

So, it’s been over a month since I last updated. Work and Home life has kept me busy but I managed a few hours of work this weekend. Here it is about 3 hours away from being mechanically complete. Rack and pinion was solved and setup. I’ll complete some bracing in between the frame rails and then get the new T-Track bed my wife bought me mounted.

I was also looking around Home Depot the other day for a substitute to MDF for my spoil board on top of the t-track. I saw a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" PVC and thought that might work good. Any thoughts??

and here is the meat of the post:

5 Likes

Man that is an awesome machine

What are you going to lubricate the rack and pinion with?

Not sure yet.

On the Camaster forum people were suggesting paraffin or beeswax over lithium. So last week I applied some beeswax, I guess I’ll see how it works. I was just curious what you had come across.

I’ll take a look at those. Honestly, I’ve never used a rack/pinion before so I’m kinda learning as I go.

Well, you’ve accomplished an amazing task so far, I’m completely blown away that you built your machine. I can’t imagine doing that myself. I just took the easy way out and bought mine :unamused:

Thanks. I can’t say that I set out to build the whole thing. I was given a bunch of v-slot that would build a 1500x1000 machine and I was giddy with the possibility to lay a 2’x4’ cut of ply on the bed and cut all of it. If I was going to “upgrade” to a pre-built machine I would probably look towards cncrouterparts.com. Cost has gone up as I’ve managed to come up with will provide me with a lot of possibility as to what I can cut.

Looking forward to the day it moves without me pushing it and making spindle noises :stuck_out_tongue:

Jer

3 Likes

Machine basics completed and running - here is the first test to come off of it:

I now know that it needs a stronger base than the table I used to use, as the machine transitions from one direction to another quickly I get a lot of wiggle from the base legs.

Now I can focus on completing the homing and limit switches and drag chain.

1 Like

I would really like to see photos of your completed machine. It is extremely nice!!! Great Job!

Nice build, any chance you have a BOM?