Usage of limit switches is rather ridiculous as they are never accurate

Am I missing something here? I realize some of you are trolling, but the few of you that aren’t really seem to have unrealistic expectations from a <$1500 machine. I’m using bump stops to line up material, and switches to get a close repeatable zero. I’m probably within 0.030" from carve to carve - the thickness of a credit card. I would put money on your x and y dimensions being more than 0.030" off if you carved a max area square (roughly 9.8" x 9.8" on a 500mm) on any size xcarve. Variances in belt length due to variances in belt tension will throw the machine off more than a few thousandths, as will belt stretch over time.

Ronald - here’s what I’m getting at. Some of us don’t want to tinker with gcode. some of us want to turn on a piece of equipment and get simple, repeatable results. Sure we will take the time to dial it in to the best of our ability, but then we want to be dumb, clueless appliance users. The switches allow us to do that. Sending a gcode command every time is something I don’t have to do. If the carve is simple I can design it in easel, click a single radio button when I go to output and the software takes care of it for me.

3 Likes