Using different bits with a1F

I use a number of milling bits that are a bit unusual, my question is how does Easel tell the cnc which bit it is using, in my case a 1F.
I would like to be able to find the tool information in the exported gcode, do I just look for a line beginning with T?

Also want to add in a 1/4" shank tapered round nosed 1/8th bit, and do not seem to be able to get the 5degree taper into the Easel data base.

It doesn’t…the machine doesn’t care. It will just go where it’s told. The geometry of the bit matters for the toolpath generation step only. I rarely use Easel, but the only bit geometry it can handle is the diameter and V-Bits for v-carving.
What’s unusual about your single flute end mill?

1 Like

@NeilFerreri1 So what you are telling me is that Easel has to set up the tool path to suit the bit we tell it to use??
Thank you that is very good to know. what had me confused was the fact that when I do an XYZ probe the 1F asks for a bit diameter, so I assumed that the cnc controller was dealing with the tool path, and it is tricky to probe a 3/4" bowl bit, tho I have done it, but watch your fingers.
Just set up a 4 bowl carve & when I exported the gcode into 1finity it generated a path that did not look right, the bowl cut looked like it had been moved to one side or another. So did not do the carve, as it is a rather nice hardwood glue up.
The selection of bits I have are straight bits from 1/8" to
1-3/8" , various ball bits up to 3/4", Bowl bits, tapered bits with sharp points and with ball ends, a T bit, some small burrs of many shapes, and a few diamond disc thin cutters as well as some bits that look quite like dovetail bits but are of different angles.
Over time I may want to cut various shapes into the workpiece and want to be sure that Easel can accommodate.

By 1F, I thought you meant one flute. I now think you mean onefinity?
Yes, your bit diameter has to be used to calculate toolpaths.
Easel only had the ability to calculate for regular endmills and v-bits with pointed end. Anything else and you’re not going to get the right toolpaths or simulation.

The onefinity needs the diameter of your probe because zeroes are established with the center of the endmill. When you probe, you are a radius away from the center.

1 Like

@NeilFerreri1 Yes I was beginning to figure out that the probing is to position the tool paths on the workpiece, but the best thing you are helping me with is that I can probe with a 1/4" straight bit and then do the work with lets say a 3/4" bowl bit, earlier today I switched from the bowl bit I wanted to use and used a 3/8" straight bit instead, & now find I could have just switched bits after probing.
Thank you for setting me straight.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.