Using Linux with your x-carve

Many years ago I decided to stop using MS Windows and moved to linux. Since then I’ve had many experiences that Linux just won’t allow me to do, Mostly game or Windows specific software related. When I decided to purchase my X-Carve, not having to setup a spare Windows box was one of my main concerns. Last thing I need is a computer I have to constantly fight with just to cut things out.

I’ve had my x-carve for a few months now and I have to say, aside from doing any fancy 3d carving I’ve been able to do everything I need, Free and accurate.

First off I started with having to send commands to the x-carve, for this I use UGS (Universal G-Code Sender)
Since it’s a java based application you can use “Wine”. I ran into some permission issues and since I’m too lazy to adjust them I simply run UGS as such “sudo wine java -jar /path/to/Universalgcodesender.jar”
Everything works fine, the only issue I have is after a few hours of not sending code I have to restart UGS, This is simply due to the sudo command timing out. Which can be fixed by adjusting permissions to allow access to TTY devices by another user. The only major thing I had to make sure I had set was the baud rate 115200 instead of the 9600 or whatever it was. Also you’ll need to install the arduino SDK since you’r going to be communicating with an arduino, unless you swap out your controller for another.

Next I wanted to use Easel. I was very happy to see the export G-code option under the Machine >> Advanced area. This saved me a ton of headaches of trying to use a CAD application lacking features I needed. However LibreCad, seems to be OK, I still prefer Inkscape.

Now comes the final issue I faced. Creating parts. For this as stated before I simply using Inkscape. I have had a few instances where the scale isn’t perfect, but I’m not cutting anything that requires tight tolerances, so this has not been an issue for me. With inkscapes ability to trace any image I can find, even tracing items I scan with my scanner (Scanner scan at a 1:1 ratio, so parts can be traced with relatively decent accuracy) any design can be turned into an SVG then loaded into Easel for tool path creation. The only thing I really wish Easel would do, aside form a growing list of features, Is keep SVG coloring, Sometimes importing a multi-layered SVG and ending up with a solid black object makes it difficult to find the small holes created in inkscape you colored red.

Other applications I use.
Everytime I find a new application I try it out. Here is a small list of some of the apps I’ve used with success so far.

UGS (Wine)
F-Engrave (Wine)
Half-toner (Wine)
LibreCad (Native, lacks features and easy to understand interface, often creates open path vectors)
InkScape (Native, after reading some tutorials I’ve managed to get around most of the lacking features of LibreCad)

Easel.com (Of course, web based, export g-code)
JSCUT.org (Web based, export g-code)
MakerCam.com (Web Based, expoort g-code, has drill operations and a few other decent features)

I hope this helps others see that just because you are not on Windows or MAC, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy X-carve, in fact MAC OS X is BSD / Linux based, so all the linux stuff should work just as well as it does on a dedicated Linux box.

Now to just wait for Autodesk to support Linux with some of their Free-till-you-make-retirement-money apps. :slight_smile:

I’ve gone the other way of instead of trying to get my Linux system to run Windows software under Wine, I just run the Linux version.
This works fine for F-Engrave, UGS, Inkscape and a host of python based g-code generators I have. I run Linuxcnc to control the X-Carve so not being able to run Easel is not a great problem - but it would be nice to give it a try.
The only thing I use Windows for is Fusion360, CamBam and Sketchup. This is done on my main computer via VMware.

Not sure why anyone would want to use “wine” when there is a native version for Linux? in my UGCS folder there is a start.sh that when executed runs UGS just like it would if you would run start.windows.bat? sorry but very confused about this post. Is there an advantage you are getting from running programs under “wine” or are you unaware that these can run natively under Linux. just curious.

It has been awhile but I have run fengrave under linux as well. you can find out how to install and run at F-Engrave Setup. hope this helps those who do not use windows as much as others. P.S. I have to use windows at work but I run Linux at home so I try to use the same in both places and it helps to have software that can run under both OS.

This is correct, I was thinking I used wine, but after looking again I’m also just using the java native to run UGS.

As someone in IT I spend all day everyday typing commands, Guess I can’t remember them all correctly all the time, Thanks for catching that.

It was a typo. Also, sorry it bothered you so much.

As for F-engrave and Half-toner, not all the newest version have linux version right away, the Linux / source versions usually come out a little later, Wine just allows me to pull down the app and run it, really no loss of features / functionality over running it native. So whichever works for you, go ahead and use it.

The post is mostly for those who have said in the forums they use mac or linux and wish they could get an x-carve. I’ve seen it a few times, so I figured I’d write a post since I have not seen a Linux post as of yet. If someone already has, well now they have two posts or more they can reference.

did not bother me at all, just wanted those who use Linux to know that you do not need additional software to use these.

1 Like

Just make UGS .jar allowed to run as a program, them create a .desktop and run it with sudo privileges done it will run like a normal app and it will see the serial USBport.
you can also download grblControl that its linux generic app and I loved.
bCNC its a good one , you will need to upgrade ur python serial lib and it runs nice on Ubuntu 14.04 --16.04 and any debian base Linux.

**** BSD / Linux based++++++ NOT TRUE BSD ITS NOR LINUX BASED
BSD and LINUX are UNIX Base OS.