V-bit vs straight bit for a two bit carve

I’ve been making some signs with 2 bits. A roughing pass using a ⅛ straight anda 60 degree v-bit for the finish pass
I made 6 which turned out great but the seventh was off path for the detail pass.
I assumed that the machine moved while I was changing bits so I lightly clamped two pieces of wood against the
router carriage but got the same result. I’ve done 3 and all are off path… Any suggestions?
One question is setting x/y position with the two bits. Does the v-bit be put with it’s point on the mark or it’s edge? One more thing. How. do I add some photos to this post? Thanks.

I can help with the photos, when you reply or hit New Topic 2 windows open up on the bottom of your screen. You will see
image on the top of the left window, click on the image tab and upload your photo.

1 Like

Once you set your Home position and do the roughing pass you want to keep your last home position when going to your detail pass. The only thing you change is your Z height since its a different bit. If you’re setting the X and Y each time you go to your detail pass that’s why your signs are not lining up.
Russell

1 Like

Got it thanks. My collet is hard to turn and has caused me to move the router ever so slightly. I have been clamping lightly to prevent x axis movement and I’ve ordered a new collet.

Thanks again

1 Like