V-bit won't reach into material after being cleared away

Ok… we’re going the right direction then…

How do I zero the Vbit in the pocket and then get it to return to the original XY without it dragging the bit through the material?

1 Like

Just make sure you raise the bit after you set the Z - zero. And make sure your safety height is higher than the depth of the pocket.

Thanks again. I feel like I’ve exhausted all the options though.

When I set the tip of the V-bit in the pocket and zero it… raise it back up out of the pocket… and then “return to zero” … it drives the V-bit down into the material at the original XY. It will then go on and perform the engraving down in the pocket…but I don’t want to do that anymore out of fear of damaging CNC, router, bit, material… etc.

You do not need to be at work zero to start the carve.
And if you are it should lift to safety height before rapid travel to carve location.
I suspect you do not have safety height set correctly.

Did anyone ever fix this problem? I am having the exact same issue. It only does it with v bits. I can make it work with every other bit but the v bit.

The exact issues you commented on… I never got that solved the way I imagined it should have been. I ended up taking my project a different direction. What I learned was that I just couldn’t do it the way it seemed logical. I still don’t really know how to efficiently do multiple stage carving where you change the bit because re-zeroing the new bit also caused an issue. I’m still very much a noob at all this.

The most logical explanation I got at the time was that the machine carves as deep as it needs to in order to produce the engraving I want. And that may not be all the way in the pocket. But… why does my rendering show it down there then? Sigh… no good answer for you. Sorry.