V-carving in Easel

Since the people that want it don’t get it, if I don’t really want it does it mean I can have it? :wink:

1 Like

Hi Zach,

Please let me in on the “secret weapon”

Thanks
Greg

Man my coworker is in but I’m not and we literally sit side by side. Hope I get an email with a prize soon :wink:

Everyone wants to be part of the “secret” club.

I second that motion!

YES, Very interested.

Me too !

Hmmm. I JUST bought an x-carve. Not sure I understand the “V-Carving”. Can’t you just install that bit and go? Totally want to understand this as my wife wants me to make her a few signs.

1 Like

Sounds pretty complicated… So you can’t use the v-bits on the x-carve? Also, I have a MacBook Air…

Just cause you use a v bit does not make it vcarve, v carving varies the depth depending on the width of the line. Currently easel does not support this.

Free software which runs on the Mac and supports V-carving:

1 Like

Is this that 3D effect in carving?

I know this has been said, but Fusion 360 supports v-carving as well. Runs on PC or Mac

Yeah, but not free by some definitions since one has to relicense it annually.

But the license is free!

1 Like

I’ve dealt with the Fusion 360 folks enough that while yes that’s possible, that doesn’t appear to be their mindset. They seem to be taking the approach that if you’re making less than $100k/year using Fusion they’re not going to bother taking your money, but your use of the platform is likely to give them good feedback, so it has some value to them. I’ve been using it for a few years and they’ve implemented several suggestions I’ve made despite my not paying them.

2 Likes

That sounds great. But. I have problems in trusting the long-term integrity of businesses. i.e.: what if Google/Microsoft/Amazon decides to buy them out? Then it turns into a whole different business model.

The cloud create an artificial dependency that I am always wary of.

2 Likes

I can’t say that’s my favorite part about Fusion 360 either, but it’s a really kickass CAD tool which has had amazing customer support for me and it’s free for me to use, so I haven’t seen very many other comparable options.

I think I’m losing the point of this sub-thread. It seems the concern is the risk that things might change. Well sure that’s a possibility. I’m sure I’ve seen all the combinations of:
paid product -> cloud service product
free subscription product -> paid subscription product
paid product -> product dead on new version of the OS
copy protected product -> can’t move to new machine when old machine drops dead
paid product -> some other product comes out that’s so much better nobody cares about the old product.
paid or free subscription product -> suddenly goes away when the company goes under or discontinues the service

There are no guarantees that anything you’re doing now will be the way you do it in a couple of years.

BTW, Fusion does allow you to export your designs to other formats usable with other programs, so there’s some safety in that. That might actually be enough of a safety net to let you proceed.

1 Like

V-engraving is based on a V-bit.
V-engraving is a 3D based operation, the V-bit can be used in any way.

The concept is that the V-bit is a certain diameter (even bigger that the design to be engraved) with a certain degree of “V”. (60deg V-bit is often used)

The 3D part of the job is that the depth (Z) is governed by the width of the design, wider design = deeper cut while narrow parts are less deep/close to 0Z.

This motion provide a pointy entry/exit of shallow design, even with a “big” bit.

You can see this effect at around the 7min mark of this video: