V-carving in Easel

This is awesome!

+1 for V- carving. Please make this happen soon. i am having to calculate depth vs width right now, and my math isnt very good! :smile:

add another vote

I would also like to see a photo carving function also. not to get too far off the subject of v carving but I would love to see an emergency stop in the machine controls as well.

i cannot wait for THIS. please let me know when you are ready for some testers!

You can do it. i cant wait :slight_smile:

great work Inventables! The least I can say is happy holidays to your company for all the wonderful gifts that my x-carve has on its way to friends and family! V-carve for everyone next year!

I am more than on board with this!! I use easel on just about everything with the exception of V carve and 3d. If somehow those were both available easel would be the easiest program on the planet to use. And might i add insanely convenient. To not have to jump back and forward from program to program would be amazing. Please sign me uo for any early beta testing for either. Love everything about inventables. Good work guys

Any updates on possibly testing of V-carving?
Thanks!

@AndrewHansen we are working on it but we arenā€™t ready for testers. There is a lot of behind the scenes work that needs to get done to Easel to support this. Also we need to do more performance improvements so Easel can support more complex designs without slowing down. We made a little progress in the last 3 months but we have a lot of work to do.

In the meantime check out the g-code import thread. If youā€™re using V-Carve pro you can import the g-code into Easel.

2 Likes

Good morning you say you can import V-Carve pro what about V-carve desk top ??

Just wanted to add another up vote for adding v-carving in easel. Iā€™d love to be able to do it but even v-carve desktop seems a bit expensive. And Iā€™m just getting the hang of easel so Iā€™d hate to have to learn something else.

I am very interested in a v-carve function for Easel

I am also very interested in a v-carve in Easel. Sign me up if you need a volunteer for testing.

For those that canā€™t wait, try estlcam, http://estlcam.com/ . $50 getā€™s a license, so a low price of entry. Not as full featured as V Carve etc, but I just exported a v carve from estlcam in g-code, and loaded it into Easel and it worked fine.

1 Like

Sounds good. I hope they do it soon

How does estlcam compare to Vcarve power wise features.

No idea ! Download the trial of VCarve and try it and download estlcam. estlcam will start to slow down after a while, make you wait a number of seconds before completing an operation etc. Iā€™ve never downloaded a trial of vcarve, but I know/assume that it comes with graphics, fonts etc. estlcam doesnā€™t, it will use whatever fonts you have on your PC. I didnā€™t have a good script font on my PC, but found one that was acceptable. VCarve is extremely professional and priced that way, I looked at estlcam and at $50 I could afford to lay the money down and put the effort in to make up for anything that I was lacking, VCarve Pro is a package, even Desktop is a decent percentage of the price of an X-Carve. To me, the money was worthwhile for what I gained, given it might be a few months for Easel to get the V-Carve functionality

I personally think that Inventables got this one right. Get the G Code import working well, get rid of the dependency on UGS which seems to create as many problems as it solves, and let the other programs, VCarve or estlcam etc do their magic, and then come out with a basic VCarve for Easel. I hope it follows their philosophy of simple and easy, and let the power users that need the extra power/features go to these third party programs that still do what they can.

1 Like

Just looked into this, unfortunately it doesnā€™t work on Mac computers x( Iā€™ve found that it has become a real struggle to find good CNC software that will run on a Mac. Anyone out there using a Mac and doing some V-Carving?

1 Like

The Vectric softwares (and most other CNC stuff) need Windows. To get them to work on your Mac you would need to be running Parallels, VMware, or booting up directly on Windows (Boot Camp).