Valentine Gift

I made this Love sign for my Sister and Brother-in-law. Used White Pine wood and Minwax Dark Walnut Stain

3 Likes

Yes use Minwax wood conditioner, then stain and let dry overnight, then carve

1 Like

When I used the wood conditioner on pine and the dark walnut, the stain bled right through the entire board. It was a dark mess and very difficult to read after the carving. Yours looks the way I was envisioning in my head. Wonder what I did differently.

I put a coat of wood conditioner on it, let it sit for about 15 minutes, then apply Dark Walnut stain. Let it sit for about 10 minutes then wipe off excess. Let dry overnight, then carve.

I’ve used pre-stain before, as well. I normally do not have any issues, but this was my first time using the dark walnut on pine. I guess I just put too much on at one time. I will try to use smaller amounts with the initial application. Do you guys use a brush, sponge, or rag? I tend to use a sponge brush which tends to soak up more stain than I need.

1 Like

Do the socks leave behind “fuzzies”? I have enough issues with rogue sawdust that I didn’t know was there.

I’ve got to find a lumber yard near me. Lowe’s and Home Depot are crap when it comes to wood, but that’s cheaper than ordering online. I went to the Rockler store and threw up in my mouth when I saw their live edge prices. I mainly want a reasonable source for walnut and maple. There are plenty in the Houston area, but none within a short drive for me. With an 8-month-old, the Mrs. doesn’t like me taking daytrips for wood.

They have poplar and red oak here. No maple or cherry.

1 Like

Home depots in Las Vegas. No Maple or Cherry and with sales tax red oak is costing more than $10.00 for 3/4 board foot.