Very first carve

Chris

When do you start your new job.

All the work you see on the model engines was done on 2 CNC milling machines. One being a Tormach 770.
My XC is still not complete have lots of parts still to make and thinking of moving the long axis double stepper motors to fixed positions at the ends of the rails and putting a syncro shaft between them. That would lower the weight on the gantry.

Keddy

Very good looking work

Dave

@DavidSohlstrom

I start October 26th. We have to have a boat finished for the Seattle Boat Show at the end of January. Itā€™s going to be an interesting winterā€¦

I thought I saw a post where you had cut some engine parts out of aluminum. Guess that was someone else. Regardless, itā€™s still heartening to see what a stiffened XC1000 can do.

How long does it take to build one and will you be building more than one at a time.

Dave

@DavidSohlstrom

Weā€™re looking at 300 man hours per unit right now. Definitely need to reduce that by a noticeable perctage (especially at the rates my Boeing aluminum welders are getting). We have implemented a profit sharing program where employees get 10% of the money they save the company. Kind of like the ā€œBugs for Bucksā€ program we had when I was writing software.

We have designed the workflow, with the paint booth currently offsite that we can be working on 4 boats simultaenously without tripping over each other. If we move the paint booth in-house, weā€™ll have to reconfigure, but weā€™ll save money. If we get significantly faster on a per boat basis, then thatā€™ll help mitigate the flow issue.

By my math that is 1 man for 37.5 days and if the average wage is $25.00 that is $7500.00 in labor.
The big problem is finding welders that can weld an aluminum hull and not have it look like some one beat the shit out of it with a sledge hammer. The good part is the hull weld up is maybe 1/3 the build time with the right jigs and fixtures. With CNC cut framing and hull plating it makes fit up much better with less hand fitting.
Iā€™m sure that once you are on the ground running that you and your team will find lots of labor saving ways to get hulls out faster.

Dave

@DavidSohlstrom

Hah! Youā€™re not too far off. We have the best aluminum welders in the PNW. They work full-time for Boeing and bang out our boats amazingly fast. One on the tack weld jig and one on the cradle. Iā€™m feeling like Iā€™ve accidentally hijacked this thread, so maybe we should move this conversation over to a thread in Meta.

Chris

Laguna makes a big CNC cutter, liquid cooled. Although we have a Shapeoko2 for small things (1/8 cutters), we just got a 24x36 Laguna that uses 1/4". Thats about all we need for now. Sounds like the Xcarve has a lot of flexibility.

1 Like

More PNW? Iā€™m over in Spokane!

Iā€™ve actually been seriously drooling on those Lagunas. Wow, what a piece of hardware!