VFD and Air cooled spindle

I have been running a 3D printed mount for my 65mm .8KW VFD since i got it and only repalced it once, to address a few issues i found in my first mount. Currently it is printed in PLA at 30% infill with 4 perimeters and 4 top and bottom layers, I only mill aluminum, granite and carbon fiber with my XC these days and I have had 0 issues. Keep in mind though that my mount was printed with a Rostock Max V2 delta printer with a fair amount of mods so it is above the “normal” level of printing found on most consumer 3D printers.

Are you willing to share your .stl files for the VFD mount?

Sure! here you go. Let me know if it does not work.
65MM SPINDLE HOLDER.STL (466.8 KB)

Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to order a 1HP VFD to run a 800W air cooled spindle? The main reason I ask is because the price on the unit I found, as well as having 115v/1-phase input and 230v/3-phase output…but 1HP = 0.746kw.

Here’s a link to the vfd in question:

I recommend going with the Huanyang VFD because of how much documentation there is already.
This is the one I ordered at $130 including shipping. It took about 2 weeks to arrive. It has the same input/output voltages as what you’ve mentioned.

Thanks for the advice. What kind of wire did you use between the VFD and spindle?

I went overboard and bought some heavy duty industrial cable from igus.com that’s 4 conductor 16 gauge wire with an overall shield. I learned a few things too. Though the spindle has a 4 pin connector, the extra pin is not connected to anything let alone ground, making only 3 wires necessary. I’m not sure what the minimum wire size is, but 16 gauge seems more than enough for a 1.5kW spindle.

The 17 gauge, 3 conductor cable of the same model (CF10-10-03) should suffice while being 2/3 the cost. Other cables such as the CF6 and CF140UL cables on their site are even more affordable, but the high flexibility in addition to the overall shield was what sold me on their CF10 product line. (Really I just wanted to see what a top-of-the-line cable was like.)

One big reason I chose igus was because they will actually sell you cables by the foot, rather than in 100’, 500’ or 1000’ spools.

1 Like

I have an 800W spindle and a Huanyang VFD and like all of the Chinese spindles/VFDs, it had a 4 pin plug but only a 3 conductor cable. I fitted an earth connection inside the spindle but trying to get a 4 conductor cable into the existing connector was impossible so ended up replacing the connector with an Amphenol 4 pin plug/socket combination.
The earth connection really is needed for both safety and noise (electrical) reduction.

I opened mine up after using a volt meter and finding that the ground was not connected. Being water cooled I figured it would be best to make sure it was properly grounded. Just need to make sure you get the little rubber seals back in place correctly and add some sealant around them to prevent any leaks.

Yes, getting a cable that fits the plug that came with the Chinese air-cooled spindle was a requirement. The igus cables I mentioned are all around 7.5-9mm which fits the plug. I tried to open my spindle as well to ground the spindle body, but stopped when I started stripping the screws before they would loosen.

Thanks for the info gents. I’ve been trying to source some shielded cable the last couple days, but run into the problem of either they sell in 500ft increments, or it is sold by the foot but the shipping charges are ridiculous. One website has the cable I wanted for around $25 for 30ft of 16/4 shielded cable, but then wanted to charge $32 for shipping. I’ll take a look at the website you suggested!

I was finally able to save up enough money for a VFD and air cooled spindle, and did some quick cuts last night. It’s a vast improvement over my craftsman router. I bought the 2.2kw VFD from www.automationtechnologiesinc.com (same price as the 1.5kw VFD), and the 0.8kw air cooled spindle I bought off Ebay for $135. I also bought the dewalt 611 mount from Inventables…and with the 65mm diameter spindle, I had to cut up 10 beer cans to make enough shim to barely fill the gap.

Definitely impressed with this upgrade, even with the minimal time I’ve been able to use it thus far.

It’s ER11, which works for me since I already have collets that match up with it.

Oh, I bought the 2.2 kw VFD from that link, but the 0.8kw spindle I bought was off of Ebay for $135.

No worries!

Only used 3 for shims :wink:

I was hoping to only have to use a couple shims, but after I surpassed 6 cans, I grew a little concerned. I measured the OD of the spindle, and it was right at 65mm. Maybe the dewalt mount I received was a little out of tolerance. Oh well, even after using 10 shims, there’s no movement from the spindle that I can see.

1 Like

Does anyone have the VFD settings for a 110v Haunyang and a 110v 1.5kw spindle. I know most people have 220v spindle at that wattage but I have both 110v for my spindle setup and can’t get the spindle to spin. It’ll start for half a second and then the stop gets triggered

Where did you buy the VFD from? Although I have the 220VAC version, I used the settings from Automation Technologies Inc.'s website:

If you have the variable speed potentiometer on your VFD, set PD001 to 1 so that you can control the RPM’s from the knob.

I got it off ebay, there seems to be very little information about 110v 1.5kw spindles, there is a bit about 110v VFDs but spindle info is scarce. http://www.ebay.com/itm/water-cooling-1500w-80mm-er11-collet-110v-cnc-spindle-motor-matched-inverter-vfd-/181478645371?hash=item2a40f85e7b