Vino di Rose Sign

Here is a sign I just completed, actually as a test. The final carve will be done in solid cherry, stained and finished to go in a kitchen above her wine center. the lettering is a v carve toolpath, and the roses and grape vines are all completely 3D carved. entire design was done in Aspire. hope you guys like it.ill upload the final carve when it gets done.

There is the finished product, stained and finished to match. hope you guys like it

5 Likes

Looking awesome. Like to see final with finishing.

1 Like

did you do this with easel, its awesome

1 Like

Nice! I love how the thin cursive font turned out.
Did you use the same bit for the whole carve?
I assume it was a v-bit?

1 Like

@Joe No, this was all done within Aspire.

@AaronMatthews I used a v bit for just the lettering, the roses and grape vine were roughed out with a1/8" endmill and finalized with an 1/8" ballnose.

Beautiful. What font did you use?

1 Like

I have a Q for long time and I think you will know answer :smile:
how and when you change bits?
please explain step by step.
do you order job step by step without moving material?

@katslod
I believe the font was Edwardian Script ITC

@ArchilTophuridze1
Basically I kept the piece mounted to the board, and with grbl work coordinate system, I saved the zero position of x and y so that I could change bits, zero the z and continue carving. the work flow was as follows:

-mount piece to work bed, ensuring it is square and flat.
-zero x and y, and save in work coordinate system using the following line of code (G10 P1 L20 X0 Y0) more details on work coordinate system here: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable
-zero the z axis to your current bit and save in work coordinate system using (G20 P1 L20 Z0)
-run first toolpath (all toolpaths being separated by type of bit used)
-Toolchange: move machine so that you have adequate room to change bit. swap bits, re-zero your z axis, and again save the new zero using (G20 P1 L20 Z0)
-if you have homing switchs, now would be the time to re home the machine, in case it was accidently shifted during toolchange. this is where the work coordinate system and the positions you saved come into play. not only did you zero the piece to those points, they are saved into the arduino, so now in case of a tool change, power outage, or a multi-session carve, just rehome the machine and it will go right back to the saved zero location.

again, more on WCS here Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable scroll down to mid page. its essential to my workflow and im sure it will be for you too once you know it up and down.

thank You, great info

1 Like