Visual comprehensive list of bits that are crossed referenced with materials

@BlakeIngramDesign Here’s a really basic chart I put together showing 10 of our bits, and some categories of materials, and how well they should work together if you find good feeds and speeds:

I apologize if it’s tough to read, just let me know if you have questions about anything.

As for feeds and speeds, we’re in the process of running tests on our bits and materials so we can get updated settings into Easel. We’re using a process that Precise Bits came up with, tweaked slightly to work better for our machines:

Feed rate = # of flutes x RPM x chipload x bit diameter

Recommended chiploads:
Plastic: 0.03
Hardwood: 0.01
Softwood: 0.02
Aluminum: 0.002

Carvey RPM: 12,000
X-Carve + DeWalt 611 RPM: 18,000 (if running at max power)

So, if you were cutting plastic, you can look at the chart to see that the 1/8" 2 flute upcut fish tail is one of the bits that should give you a nice finish. If you’re running a DeWalt 611 at max power, you could start with:

Feed rate = 2 flutes x 18,000 RPM x 0.03 chipload x 0.125 bit diameter
Feed rate = 135

That would be your starting point. From there, you can try increasing it in increments of 10 until the settings prove to be too aggressive (increments of 8 for a 1/16" bit, and increments of 5 for a 1/32" bit).

For depth per pass, we like to start conservatively by doing about 25% of your bit diameter, then going up from there until you reach a point that’s too aggressive and your cut quality suffers.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes