Walnut Ducati Coasters

I made some Ducati Logo themed drink coasters as a gift… here are some pictures of the process. I’m also trying to put together a website of all my projects, where the various files are available for free ( chopbangbuzz.com )

First I traced all of the logo’s from the various Ducati eras that I wanted to use:

Next I cut down some walnut to the size I thought would work for doing 4 coasters at a time:

Since the walnut stock was so thick, I resawed it in half:

Then I planed it to remove the uneven resaw cut:

The fun part - a V-Carve of the logos!

I machined pockets into the back of each to fit the coaster pad:

I don’t have a lot of the box assembly, but here are the miteres being machined into the various pieces:

I went with leather for the pad since I had some laying around and though it might look cool:

The machined pockets had rounded corners, so I sanded down the corners of the leather pads to fit:

Applied some barge cement:

Glued on the Leather:

And just held it on in place with some chunks of aluminum I had laying around:

I used mineral oil on these:

I also decided to oil the leather itself with the mineral oil… After a test I thought it gave it a cool aged look:

Here’s the finished result!

If anyone wants the vector files, models, plans, whatever, they are freely available at my site: chopbangbuzz.com

21 Likes

They turned out fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks!! I really was happy with the end result… made all of the sanding… and sanding… and sanding… worth it :slight_smile:

I think with epoxy filling it will look better

That would have cleaned up the bottom a bit more (smoothed it out), but I’m not sure it would have had the same… dunno what the word is, I guess classic look? I even skipped on using a poly-coat to avoid any plastic appearances…

Here’s a more detailed view of the build and you can see it a little better:

2 Likes

Gorgeous.

1 Like

Thanks Marc! The files are free on the website. Also, i’m definitely looking for feedback as to whether I’m providing enough files/detail, or if I should be including more. I’m trying to include the most generic/usable files, but I know some people look for specific stuff (STL’s, STEP, DXF vs. other vector formats, etc)

Some cool stuff coming down the road, including this arcade pedestal I posted here a little while back: Project you are most proud of - #16 by DylanSquires

Pretty remarkable detail in your post and an impressive outcome. That can be very time consuming, thanks for putting in the effort to show your process so thoroughly.

1 Like

Thanks Adam, much appreciated :slight_smile: Check out the accompanying video if you get a chance, or any of my other videos. I’m hoping to gain some subscribers, and putting out regular videos and free designs/models/etc