"Waving" flag carve?

Let me see if I have the screen record software to do it real quick, it literally takes 5 mins

I would, but can’t till this weekend.

Think of taking a regular line, the sweeping it in a circle by one end - that end becomes the center of the circle. Then imagine instead of a straight line you’ve got a spline which goes up and down vertically - now when you sweep that you’ve got a wavy disc.

rippleExample.f3d (63.6 KB)
flagExample.f3d (74.5 KB)

ahhh thank you I see how that was made now and just revolved 360 degs

@StevePrior

I see now lol thank you for your help

1 Like

this may sound werid but I saw a picture of a toilet seat being made on the cnc router and I really wan to make a dang toilet seat using this effect now lol

dont judge!

I’m worse than you. I was considering whether I could use the Seek Thermal heat camera on my smartphone to take a picture of a chair after someone had just got up, then take that grayscale image, convert it to a height map, and then create a custom carved barstool seat for them. The limiting factor turned out to be the resolution of the IR camera, but taken to the ideas logical conclusion you could end up with hollywood actresses needing to hire someone to chill down their seat to prevent someone from taking an IR picture and selling 3D models of their rear ends…

Another idea that is closer to working was that I took a close up picture of my son’s eye, converted that to a grayscale and then a height map, then I’m thinking of using that height map as the texture for a serving plate with the iris forming a recess in the center. The main thing holding that up was that I couldn’t figure out how to warp the mesh a bit so it gradually raises up to the outer edge. The final result would be an eyeBowl…

1 Like

thats a pretty cool Idea actually and I wonder if it would have any medical benefits for the person sitting in the chair for long hours

and to your point on the eye thats cool to did you happen to see

Franks new video?

That guy’s my hero, hadn’t seen that yet.

Here’s how far I’ve got so far with the eye bowl idea. Basically once you can turn a grayscale into a height map you just start wondering what are interesting sources of grayscale images.

@BrianSaban

I am confused on that video you just made a square from a sketch? did I miss something?

@StevePrior
thats really cool and you where able to pick up that topography just off a bitmap image?

I guess thats done by the different shades of gray but its cool how it gets all the detail

and I have to ask myself are eyes really that jagged lol or could it be the moisture playing tricks on the image?

oh it didn’t show the whole video, thats wierd. I’ll retry

lol okay I watch watching the video and watching the time bar and saying HURRY you time is almost up lol felt like I was speed learning

1 Like

This is how I would do it in Fusion360, just quick and sloppy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes that topography was really from the image, but I think the highest parts are actually from the reflection of our house in his eye (I shot this in sunlight in my backyard). You also have to keep in mind that changes in brightness of any given picture aren’t really height, I’m just interpreting it that way. My actual idea is that the iris texture will end up being a relatively slight texture in the final piece and be minor compared to the shape of the rim. The end result would be more like a platter than a bowl and you could place the dip cup in the pupil.

@BrianSaban

thats very cool and easy method thank you for the video

1 Like

Sorry guys. I just threw those models up when I had a second without explanation. Looks like others filled in the gaps.
@StevePrior @WorkinWoods For random (or patterned) 3D variances like these, you can also use Forms in Fusion 360. It gives you more freeform modeling flexibility.

@NeilFerreri1

are you talking about going into the sculpt workspace and working in there to create that?

I started playing with that, but they’re not actually “random” in the sense that they’re not randomly generated, you’d have to “randomly” move things around until you got the desired effect - for me I ended up trying too hard to carefully come up with something that looked random. For the bumpy background of the workshop sign I posted above I actually had GIMP generate a random cloud pattern, so fussiness on my part was excluded.