Weekend projects?

nice thanks!

@plomac how is your guitar project coming?

I’m working on Touchcutter. It’s a software project that’s easily customizable and expandable. At present I’m cutting functional gcode with the software.

I’m hoping to bring other more experienced CNC programmers into the fold, but they are going to have to learn to play in Touchdesigner to do it. I’ve hobbled together some videos to give you a sense, but there will be further documentation to follow. If any members of this forum are interested in contributing, and can provide some sort of tangible expertise (geometry/math/CNC/Programming/python/TD/etc.), please download Touchdesigner and get comfortable, send me a message, and I’ll share the most current Touchcutter network(s) with you.

Current features:

Lithophanes,

Hybrid 3D raster milling: (shape from a geometry editor, texture from an image…an example might be an image based raster toolpath that is not along a flat plane, but rather the surface of your geometric shape).

G code processing/interpreting

Housed in a rich environment(Touchdesigner) for creating, editing and converting between media type.

1 Like

Gonna kick back on the chesterfield and enjoy a two-four eh?

2 Likes

That was my best Canadian impression.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to wear your bunnyhug (Saskatchewan specific).

1 Like

Just finished a quick project. I must say it is getting easier the more that I do.

3 Likes

Finally done with the Topographical map.

6 Likes

That is awesome, I’d love to do that for the area our cabin is in.

2 Likes

@FERomero what software did you use to make that?

Thanks for the comments.

I plan to put on a step by step under my Inventables Project page.

In a nutshell:

1. This map is for some land in Texas so I found out the University of Texas has PDF files with very detailed topographical maps for all of its regions.
  2. I googled “convert PDF into DWG or DXF” and found out several sites would do a free conversion as a trial. So I converted the PDF into a DXF. The layer control was lost, but every PDF layer converted over with a different color, so it made it easy to select objects by color attribute in Autocad.
  3. I used Autocad LT to manipulate and transfer the relevant features into different layers. All the topographical elevations came in as splines. It took quite a a bit of sorting and prep work but I isolated all the splines I needed for the g code.
  4. I made an easel project for each individual topographical level. I cut each level from the thinnest plywood I could find.
  5. The assembly was fairly easy, I incorporated guide holes when I cut the profiles and used dowels when during assembly to align all the pieces.
  6. After the man assembly was complete I used a 3.8W Jtech laser to burn all the lines and letters. I generated gcode in easel from pfolies I had from CAD or by using the easel drawing tools. I exported the gcode and using notepad++ changed all the G1 Z+ into M5 (laser off) and all the G1 Z- into M3 S12000 (laser on). I reloaded the g code and used easel to run the laser. (it would be nice to incorporate a laser control option in easel btw).

PDF

PDF to DXF

DXF cleanup

DXF to SVG

SVG into Easel

Easel profile cuts

8 Likes

That is so impressive.

Wow, very complicated but very well done, great work

wow. font? two pieces stone + letters?

This reminds me of my first job as a professional model maker. The company I worked for specialized in arch/eng models. We had a contraption for cutting topos. The base of the model would be fixed upside down above the table with the plot of the contour map on the table. You would follow the contour lines with an adjustable height rotary cutter and carve away each level in urethane foam.

Some of these topos were quite large so you would be underneath with all the dust falling in your ears, eyes, hair, etc.

If you’ve ever worked with urethane foam, you understand how un-fun those days at work were. :smiley: There was no CNC equipment in a price range for small companies in those days.

Sorry, I need to be more clear than

what was the font you used?

What’s the total depth?

Rusty - what material are you using … I am about to attempt a puzzle for my son, and was thinking of 1/2 plywood to cut out the pieces and then glue the outline shape to another 1/2 plywood piece so the pieces have a base layer. But I would take your ideas.

1 Like

What bit are you using to get that depth?

long reach = 3" or 4" overall?
how long is your tapered bit?
brands?
amazon, ebay, aliexpress?

thx for link

1 Like