Went off the wood

Hello, tried my first carve tonight. The piece of wood was X 27" and Y 14", the design fit nicely inside the measurements, did all all the checks made sure all was clamped down and set XY in the bottom left corner of the wood. There was about an inch all the way around the design so I could use the clamps. Everything looked good and hit Carve. All was going well until it went past the edge of my wood for Y, and then the same thing for X. So, I stopped everything and of course ruined the piece of wood now. My question is how much clearance do you need around your design? Does there need to be like 2" of excess wood all the way around or did I do something wrong. I have Easel Pro and said something about homing or something after I hit stop. Any and all help and suggestions would be great. Thank you!

Scott

Can you share the file so we can take a look at it.

Yes, hold on be up shortly

To start looks like your carving is laid out to go almost 16" tall and you said you had a 14" so it would go off the top. If your x axes was 27" long you should have had enough material there. Other then that maybe you are loosing steps somewhere.

1 Like

Okay, how much clearance do you need all around your design? And setting XY at the bottom left corner is correct? How do you center your wood to the design? I need to go buy some pine and try again, instead of assuming I got it using Red Oak. If you are able to thank you for answering my questions.

As far as how much room around the outside is up to you. If everything lines up right and you don’t want any you don’t have to have any. Setting the xy is correct or you can set it in the center of the work piece. As far as centering your design to the work piece just put in the size of your board put your design in and go up to edit and click on it then clear down at the bottom it say center material.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, I’ll try again!

1 Like

@ScottColbert. The easiest way not to go off your work area is to set your material size the same as your actual material. You have the computer set at 18” and your material is 14”. Wayne is correct in saying it will run off the material. This would be solved by having your material set correctly. Then your preview would show correctly. Good luck with the next Carve.

2 Likes

Here is my issue, sadly right now I feel that I have a huge paper weight on a table in my garage! I tried again on a piece of pine because I just wanted to see if the design would fit, knowing it would not come out nice. In the picture below you can see it went off the wood in the lower right again. I made sure three times everything was set to 18" x 18", followed all the steps, set xy as close as I could in the bottom left. I just don’t understand what I am doing wrong??!! What does park machine mean? It comes up after I stop carving. Sorry I am slow, but really hope I am able to enjoy the expensive thing. Thank you for any help and suggestions you have to help me.

Scott

Something is not right with your machine,
Can you grad the router and wiggle it?
Did you put the machine together or did you purchase it used?
Can you make a video of the machine running?
The settings you shared should work good, we were all newbies at one point, you will get it.
Russell

“we were all newbies at one point, you will get it.”

Never were truer word said about being newbies, and we still get to learn new things after years and years. I ended up joining a makerspace to get face time with others who were interested in carving machines. That paid off big time with new friends and better work.

Remember that you are using this thing as a woodworking machine and everything that applies to woodwork apples here, chip out, cutters trying to follow the grain, etc. These machines are good but not as rigid as they could be, so gentle pays off.

2 Likes