What bit for cutting shapes out of 3/4" pine?

I am looking at ordering the X-Carve 1000 very soon. Just found some plans to make my workstation. I have never used a CNC machine before so I’ve been doing a lot of research. For my first projects I would like to cut through 3/4" pine. I will be cutting out shapes, letters… (it is a bunny hay feeder, holes for the bunny to get their hay out of). What would be the best bit for this? I will be doing quite a few of these.

Thank you for any help!

I personally use the two flute straight bit from Inventables, Welcome to the Forum!

1 Like

I am a complete newbie, would that be the carbide tipped 2 flute straight, or the solid carbide 2 flute straight end mill? Thank you again!

I use a 1/4 straight bit with 2 flutes. Whiteside is the best brand that I’ve used over the years. You get what you pay for with router bits. There are also upcut and down cut bits specific for cnc routers.

Whiteside Router Bits 1014 Straight Bit with 1/4-Inch Cutting Diameter and 1-Inch Cutting Length - Straight Router Bits - Amazon.com

Technical Tip of the Week: Upcut and Downcut CNC router bits (axyz.com)

Many times I use double sided duct tape to hold my work down and usually use a layer of corregated cardboard under it that’s almost 1/" thick. I set the final depth to the cardboard so I don’t cut into my router surface. The tape will gum up the bit, so I clean it periodically.

Other times I’ll leave about 1/32 of an inch of wood left holding down the part, and remove that with a trim router and a flush trim bit. It depends on the size of your parts.

cutting

rosette

2 Likes

This one

3 Likes