What CNC would you buy for $5000-$6000?

If you have the opportunity to be near columbus or an Axiom Dealer (who also has the next wave, laguna, and others) you will discover very quickly …in the price range your talking about when you physically touch, look at, see, and (without even running them) take some time to compare … there is no comparison between the mainstream models and the Axiom precision models. I made the mistake of first purchasing a next wave automation (piranha, shark, etc) which is framed primarily in a composite that even in the small hobby piranha model flexes so much it’s borderline worthless…considering their 5k-6k model is built on the same composite…now way it would be near as accurate as either the laguna or the axiom.

But again, the axiom is just over the top in rigid construction, higher end rails, screws, 3HP water cooled spindle, etc. I bought my axiom pro 9 24x48" model over a year ago and absolutely love it and know it was the only right decision …I’m sure the laguna is nice (it would have been my second choice but lower quality linear components, no water cooled came with, overall rigidity wasn’t near axiom’s and just the joints, paint, fit & finish was disappointing considering the $$$ amount for a garage hobbyist like myself…that’s a lot of dough) but the shark is complete junk as is the piranha comparatively speaking (and don’t even get me started about the 3 returns to service in 6 months …,most of them almost a month long …with me riding them to get it back… my piranha, the terrible user interface, no limit switches, resets with no recovery …start jobs over only option…nightmare from service, to quality, to bugs, to interface, to reliability…and so on).

I ultimately tried to return the piranha, but then even though next wave finally approved it, Woodcraft refused, where completely rude to my admin, then me, and with another who knows how many hours trying it would have taken…probably would have eventually returned it…they were being difficult, and I finally gave up and called American Express and they immediately refunded without a battle. I then drove to columbus where Axiom was started, and picked up happiness, reliability, simplicity, quality … and love it to this day.

My two cents!
Any specific questions feel free to email me at pcoyner@elimbs.com

I’m heading to Columbus to take a class. While there for the class, I plan on purchasing an AXIOM AR8 Pro+ and having it shipped to me. Only $199 for shipping. The machine looks to be a great bang for the buck. Two days of Vcarve/Aspire training plus 1/2 day hands-on with their entire line of machines.

Wow, @PhilipCoyner way to find an old post :wink:

I’m glad you are having success with Axiom, and good luck to you @GerryKaslowski with your recent purchase.

I looked at Axiom a year or so ago as well. However, I ended spending a little more than my post specified. I bought a used Camaster Stinger 2 and added a Black Box Hurricane Vacuum Table. I have had the setup for a year now and I have been very pleased with both. I have not had any real issues and customer support has been very satisfactory for questions and slight improvements.

But about a month ago it was time to add a second machine. So I ordered a ShopSabre with an ATC. It’s being built and is planned for delivery in a few weeks. (I’m also building a new shop to put both machines in.) :grin:

Very cool about the training @GerryKaslowski I have nothing bad to say about Inventables and Easel. They are absolutely amazing for starting out, and our business wouldn’t be as successful as it is now if it weren’t for us starting out on an X-Carve. But once you are ready V-Carve and a better machine will make such a world of difference.

Good luck to both of you!!

The ShopSabre looks to be a very good choice — they came off quite well in the recent CNC Cookbook CNC router survey:

http://microfabricator.com/articles/view/id/5932273a3d2d2e19578b45b1/results-of-the-cnccookbook-2017-cnc-router-survey

1 Like

i will choose the

to learn more about plasma Visit this online for air filters, air dryers, exhaust fans, universal wireless remote controls, dxf files, and more.

I spent 12-15k on my cnc machine and I wish I would have spent 40-100k on the machine

price really does matter with these things

but to answer your questions I bought a CNC Router Parts PRO4896 with there plug and play electronics and little over your budget but honestly if you want to do this more than a hobby you need to stretch your budget as much as you can