What settings for engraving and cutting ABS

Howdy Forum, I have been asked to engrave & cut some small labels (32mmH x 23mmW) from an ABS type material (Lasertec) 1.7mm thick, (including adhesive backing), I haven’t done anything like this before, so I’m looking for some pointers please. I’ve had a few failures trying this.
I engraved the text with a 30° V-Bit and then cut it out with the same bit, but I’d prefer to have the cut-out with straight edges, but when I tried the cut-out with a 1/32 bit, it snapped on the first pass?
I was running the Feed rate at 700, the plunge rate at 150, and Cut depth at 0.5mm. the Makita router was running on speed #3 (17,000rpm).
What am I doing wrong :frowning:

The plunge rate is too fast for that bit, and the cut depth is too deep as well, needs to be more like 0.2mm per pass

Personally i would use a larger o-flute style bit if the shape permits a larger bit. If its a simple rectangle i would use a 1/8" single flute upcut (aka an o-flute bit) or larger.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.