What size tolerance for inlays?

Even with small numbers, it doesn’t take much to start going way off.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what I do. I cut the inlays first and clean them up.

Then cut the pockets so i can check the inlay fit on the machine. I’ll then manually tell the machine the bit is a little small until it fits.

As long as I’m not doing something where the inlay absolutely has to be a particular size.

2 Likes

My point was: Lets say a bit is off by .02. That means the inlay will be offset .01 too big and the pocket .01 too small. On a shape, that occurs again perpendicular across the shape. .01+.01<---------------->.01+.01

1 Like

wouldn’t it calculate the radius of the bit from the zero point?

right, but if it is a shape say like a square, it is going to be 2 x 1/2 on all 4 sides. You have to take that in account. if you butt the left side of the inlay to the left side of the pocket, you will have 4 x 1/2 hanging over on the right side. The pocket is 1/2 too small on the left and half too small on the right. The inlay is half too big on the left and half too big on the right.

1 Like

you end up with 2x the error on the bit size across the entire shape.

I just tested the inlay app in easel… the first cut at .003 was a little loose… .002 was pretty tight…

1 Like

Finished it off… I think i should have went with .001, but not terrible…

3 Likes

I always use Vcarve for inlay, never failed. Even if you have scew problem, it will cut inlay part with same configuration anyway.
Try cutting inlay parts first, when ou finish female, don’t take it out. Try first if it fits, if not, go one more edge shaving with tiny tolerance until fits.

This is he way I do my inlay work. I cut the inlay first and then the pocket.

I fudge it by telling the machine my tool diameter is smaller a tiny bit at a time and run the inside path.

3 Likes

When you do this are you using the inlay app or just doing it manually? I have been having some problems with my inlay being too big using the app even with huge tolerance.

I do mine manually.

I have tried about everything and still no luck. It seems that the width on my inlays are always about right, but the overall height is always too big. Does any have any more suggestions of what may cause this?

before I did anything else, I would cut a circle and square next to each other and do some measuring to make sure it is cutting X and Y accurately.

1 Like

I have three sets of drill bits. I’ve measured them all. One set is small, one OK, one over size. I select the appropriate sized bit I want to use, depending on the application. I would suspect router/CNC bits exhibit the same.

2 Likes

I’m probably cheating, but I oversize my inlays in height and run it thru the drum sander until all is even. You can’t always do this, but it is my brute force method.