What software are you using?

Will you be running your machine off line also. I will be running mine off line using LinuxCNC on a dedicated Linux computer.

Dave

thats the plan so far. Looking at using vectric aspire and mach3 for my daily stuff. I had a 3d printer for a couple months that I really liked playing with but my models accuracy got too annoying after awhile so I sold it. Now Iā€™m getting the x-carve and just need to figure out the software I want for it

I donā€™t quite have the X-carve up and running yet. Iā€™m hoping by the end of the weekend. As of right now, Iā€™ve been playing with Fusion360 and Iā€™m liking it pretty well. Iā€™m anticipated the learning curve would be worse than it is, so Iā€™ve been pleasantly surprised. I have experience with 2D cad already, though, so perhaps thatā€™s making it easier. I use both AutoCAD LT and Draftsight at work on a pretty regular basis.

i just looked at fusin but its a 64bit os only. I have a 64 bit processor but 32 but os. too bad, it looks pretty good.

Artcam will likely be the main one. Iā€™ve got several macro editing programs for g code programming and do a fair bit of hand writing of stuff also

Is anyone out there using ArtCam software? I havenā€™t even got my x carve yet but I have the software already. Just wondering how the x carve performs using the g-code vs svg files. I will most likely be using easle to start out with to get the feel for small projects but ArtCam has some real nice files that come with it and I want to do some 3d carvings on moldings and possibly some fireplace mantles eventually

Iā€™ve been using gimp as a cam program for years. Well gimp and Adobe Illustrator. The Illustrator for text mostly. Iā€™ve just started to use zbrush recently ant took some of the old gimp projects and made them metalic looking and made a movie out of them.

Hereā€™s the link Alans 3D Designs

Great designs!

Phil, sounds like Fusion 360.

It and the rest of the Autosesk suite can be downloaded as Hobby Editions.

1 Like

My biggest problem is I have a M.S. in Manufacturing Engineering (and currently a stay at home dad, so my XCarve was a gift from my wife to let me play until it is time to go back to work) and I learned on $500,000 Haas machines using Solidworks CAD and FeatureCAM and MasterCAM. So I learned on the top of the line software and am really getting frustrated at the clunkiness of everything that is in my price range.
Right now I like SketchUp but when I do the .dxf -> .svg though inkscape, all my curves become separate areas to machine. So the Xcarve goes to the start of the curve segment, plunge to cut depth, cut to end of curve segment, plunge, cut to beginning of cut segment, plunge, etc. Then comes all the way up and then moves to the next curve segment and starts the process again, which is inefficient and does not make for great cuts.
Ideas?

Currently using CamBam and Sketchup ( a little bit of Freecad). Controller software is Linuxcnc with a Gecko G540 driver.
Starting to learn Fusion360 - slowly.

I am using V carve desk tyop and it works well with easel or USG sender going to up grade soon

I would pick up Mach3 or Mach4, and at least v-carve desktop, if not v-carve pro. You will be in more familiar territory and will not be as limited.

Iā€™ve been using Fusion 360 (free for home hobbyists) for about a week and am very impressed with it. I particularly like the control you have over the CAM process; you can define separate ā€œoperationsā€

Prior to that, Iā€™d been using viaCAD (pro version) and MeshCam with some success. Also have messed around with Sketchup, but itā€™s a bit unwieldy to get the sketch in a format that MeshCam likes.

For parametric CAD-type work, I prefer Fusion 360; not too big a learning curve to do simple 2D and 2.5D work, and it also handles the CAM side of things very well.

For vector-based work (inlays, carvings, etc.), Iā€™ve been downloading artwork from various sites (VectorArt3d, for example) in .STL format and using MeshCam for the CAM work ā€¦

Greetings @Earwigger. What do you think of Fusion 360 as 3D CAD/CAM software. I keep thinking it would be good to have 3D capability for CAD/CAM but I too was shocked at the price tag on Aspire. Thanks, Scott

Iā€™m a die-hard Solidworks fanatic for part design. I started playing with Fusion360 a few weeks ago and have been posting updates on what Iā€™ve been learning. Would anyone be interested in a video of me starting with a 3D part and walking through the CAM process start to finish in Fusion360?

1 Like

I downloaded it and when through a few tutorials but have not had time to get back to it. I did download some 3d models into it and export them into STLs and bring them into vcarve and that works. But I just donā€™t have time to learn that stuff, and if I do, wouldnā€™t use it enough to remember what I learned. The tutorials are good though.

for vector I use MTC (Make the Cut) This came with my zing machine that I bought a while ago.
For 3d I use Cut3D.