What spindle would I need for the united kingdom

Yes, insofar as the bit you select is able to fit into the corners. Most people use a 1/8" bit.

I find one good way to preview a cut in a drawing program is to clone the line I want to cut, offset by half the endmill diameter, then set the stroke for that line equal to the endmill diameter, w/ rounded ends and miters.

One way to sharpen up corners is to use a V-bit to engrave the outline first, then change to the endmill you’ll use to cut out.

At this point you need to think about process.

Take the bottom middle cat with it’s paw up and compare it to top left dog. The dog has perspective and depth to it. The cat does not.

Those two are entirely different jobs in my view. The cat a simple outline cut. The dog might be 4 separate pieces assembly job. Just like if I followed all the lines of the top left dog is composed of with a band saw.

If you used an eraser and removed the lines that tell us that two legs are on the other side of the dog you could make a single outline cut like the cat.

I might do the top left dog this way to preserve the illusion of depth:

Two sheets of wood of differing colour. One is 10mm the other 20mm.
The 10mm is just a simple outline.
The 20mm sheet has two jobs. One outline full depth to get the outline of both layers. The other job is a pocket operation to carve out space for the 10mm piece.

I know I suck at drawing and I forgive myself :smile:

All of these can be made with an X-carve and a dewalt, have no doubt. The trick is to envision the end result and find a process to get there. I’m a noob so this might be a very inefficient way.

Edit: typos, numbers were wrong.

Hi it would be one cut. The shapes are 2 dimensional as you can see in these photos. I’m new to this I haven’t even bought an x carve yet. I just want to know if these shaped would be possible before I buy one. I don’t understand willadams when he talks about cloning a drawing and offset by half the diameter of the end mill. I don’t even know what endmills to use for what job.

IMG_20151002_192258914 (1.7 MB)

1 Like

Well… cnc is a continual learning experience that is for sure.
What is shown in your pictures can be cut. The 10mm piece in my example is a close fit to your complete dog.

Thanks guys. All this information is very much appreciated. I don’t want to buy the x carve only to find out later that it won’t cut the shaped out. Do you know roughly how long it would take to cut one of the shapes out going off probably two passes. Would it be quicker than me doing it with my jigsaw?

i think the x carve can cut it quicker, and you can do the finishing while the x carve is cutting the next batch.

And there are a lot more things you can do with it besides cutting dogs and cats.

With you being new to the whole CNC world you can cut out a whole lot of your dogs and cats in the time it will take you to just do the CAD and CAM for them.

That being said if you want to move your cats and dogs to more than just simple profiles then this is where a CNC router shines. You can do dogs and cats with full 3D details. Fur, eyes, feet, tails, ears etc. You can make them look like you took your carving chisels and knives and carved them with full detail.

Will you do it the first time you start your machine, NO. There is a steep learning curve that you will need to climb and there is some additional software that you will need to get.

It all depends on where you want to take the dogs and cats that you are making now. It is doable just not over night.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Mark

I see that the UK version of the Dewalt has already been identified - it is the 26xxx series. I have received my X-Carve mount for it but have a lot of non X-Carve video work to do before I can show how easy it is to set up. In the meantime you may be interested in my product tour video of the router:

Peter

And just to remind any Brits, RoboSavvy here in the UK can supply X-Carve kits with the DeWalt: CNC

Might save you on shipping woes/costs.

Cheers

Ian