What tape?

Good Morning!!! As I read through the chat in the forum, (I’m new to the whole CNC experience) I see several references to using tape. I have found on a couple of my projects that I have to be very creative in the use of the clamps. What kind of tape is recommended? 3M double sided? (something that I can get at my local Lowe’s or Home Depot??)

Thanks in advance!!

Blue masking tape (one layer on surface board and one layer on material to be carved) Bonded together using CA-glue, the glue on one layer, accelerator on the other = instant/rigid bond :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have more clamps than I know what to do with and was running into a project that was difficult to clamp for one reason or another. I saw on line that blue masking tape and CA glue with a spray activator was the way to go, but found it only available on line and it was a bit pricey. Then I discovered that any masking tape will do (It doesn’t have to be the blue stuff, just the least expensive) and I use Loctite Super Glue Professional Liquid or any of the Loctite super glues. The tapes and glues can be found at Lowe’s, Home Depot, or any hardware store like ACE.

1 Like

now you have me wondering if a hot glue between the layers of tape would work. My wife has a cricut and uses a very strong craft glue. I might try that too. Thanks for the help!!

Hot glue is flexible and adds a measurable thickness that can throw your stock out of square. Use CA glue…it’s a solid method for holding anything from soft plastics to metal.
Depending on the project, double sided tape can work well. Just don’t cut through it or your endmill, and your work, will get all gooey.

2 Likes

Yes, and often leave gooey glue residue when being pulled off after.

Not all masking tapes are equally good, I am sure there are brands which are poorer or better. Here in my part of the world the plain sand coloured masking tape is no good as the adhesion isnt as strong as with the blue. Probably not a universal thing so YMMV :wink:

2 Likes

well I haven’t the nerve to cut all the way through my projects just yet. I cut and leave about a 1/16" and finish cutting with a band saw. Take it over to the bench sander and finish it off. Truly appreciate the information about the tape and CA glue. Going out this weekend to stock up on those supplies. You guys ROCK!!!

Add tabs to the periphery of your project.
Cut all the way through by about .010". (using a sacrificial board)
You’ll greatly minimize your hand work.

1 Like