Which bit to use to level waste board

I’ve got the two bits shown in the pictures. One is 1/2” and other is 3/8”. I could not tell from the angles of the cutters if either would be good to skim/level my waste board. I’m trying to use a bit that I already have.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Donnie

Angus,

I read the previous thread. It did not answer my question. My question is specific to the two bits that I have on hand already. I even provided pictures of the specific bits. I also did not want to hijack someone else’s thread. So to answer your question, yes it was necessary. I also used the mythical “Search” feature that many of you are so fond of using to hammer people over the head.

[Climb on soap box]

Please do not be offended by these comments as they are not meant just for you. I am going to be using this forum a lot because I believe in the concept of community support. In another hobby that I participante I’ve owned and operated a discussion forum for 17 years with a membership of over 8000 people, so this is not my first rodeo. If you don’t want to answer my questions, fine. If you want to answer my questions, great. But please do not chastise me like a child or noob. I can be as nice or reda$$ as you want. I like to have fun on forums. I love the back and forth jabbing / joking. So let’s just ask questions, give advice and help each out with this great hobby.

If this opinion offends anyone, I apologize. I am just trying to establish a baseline so folks will know where I’m coming from.

[Climbing off of soap box]

Thank you for you help,

Donnie

14 Likes

Bob I looked everywhere but I cannot find that huge red arrow. Should I use the search function to find it. :joy::joy::joy:

Thanks,

Donnie

4 Likes

Hi Donnie and welcome to the forums. Like yourself I used to administer a very large forum (several actually) so I completely understand what you are saying and feel your frustration. This is a great forum but there are some here who would rather rant about the search function than use that same energy to help. Please don’t let it get to you. To answer your question I would not use either of those bits and would purchase one made specifically for the task at hand. They are not costly and you will be using this bit often, so money well spent :+1:

5 Likes

Donnie, did a quick search and found this bit for around 10 bucks, which should work fine in a pinch. I’ll try to post more for you later.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Skil-Carbide-Tipped-Bit/1058305

Ask 2 questions:

1. Is it a large bit?
  2. Is it a flat bottom?

If Yes to both, then you can use it.
If Yes to #2 but not #1, you can use it but it’s gonna take awhile, so if that is okay, go for it.
If Yes to #1 but not #2, then no you can’t use it.
If No to both, then no you can’t use it.

Skimming the waste board is not rocket science. There is no “right” answer. You need a flat bit that is preferably large-ish diameter to shave time. You could do it with a 1/32" bit if you wanted to. It’d take a week probably but it’s still possible. Conversely, you could use a 4" fly cutter to do the same thing.

Most people use skimming as an opportunity to check tram as well. The larger the bit, the better you can see the issue. That’s why you also use a higher percentage step-over as well.

1 Like

But he DID search bob, and his reasoning to not want to hijack someone else’s thread is valid.

So riddle me this, if you were looking at a TV guide and saw a TV show that you felt was bad, would you go straight to it and start complaining? No, probably not. You’d probably steer clear of it and move on. So when you see a thread like this one if you don’t intend to help them, why not just do the same and just skip over it and move on? Two things could happen, other people might try to actually help them, or no one would help them and they’d be forced to find their answer some other way. You’re a good guy Bob, you’ve helped others in the past but please understand that it gets a bit old to see the same people whine about the search function over and over and over again. Most people don’t come here to see that, most are here to help others for the love of the X-Carve.

Justin what is the largest bit that you recommend for this?

2 Likes

I don’t recommend bit sizes for this operation. If it’s rated for the RPM of the Dewalt, it can be used. Everyone has their own preference. Could be cost, could be comfort level with a 1 1/2" bit spinning versus a 3/4".

Personally, I use Amana RC-2243 (link). It’s pricey but I was okay with it, I should never have to buy another surfacing bit. Others may not want a $90 bit they only use every so often.

2 Likes

I think that’s the bit I was looking at a few weeks ago. It has replaceable parts so it’s a good investment. This is the surfacing bit I’ll be getting soon. Thanks for posting the link Justin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you I for your comments.

Donnie

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Donnie

That makes sense. Due to the angle on the larger of the two bits, I did not want to leave “tracks” on the surface of my waste board.

Thanks,

Donnie

You can count on Bob for the best replies.:+1:

Not to defend or bash Bob or anyone else, some users, especially newer ones, tend to post a new thread instead of taking the time to search the ever expanding database of info here,

Likewise, some veteran members of the forum have seen the same questions so many times that they are a bit quick to react in the way that we have seen, and the new member feels like they have been attacked.
(some on both sides are just a bit cranky too :wink: )
The title to your thread is very similar or the same as so often seen here before, but upon reading your question, you do go into specifics about cutter angle, etc.

My response to those specifics is, a shallower angle would seem to be better but a true flat bottom would be a source of alot of needless contact and heat buildup due to friction. By the time the center of the bit crosses a specific point on the surface the cutting action is already done by the leading edge of the cutter and the rest is just along for the ride dragging across the surface.

As for size, I use a standard 3/4" router bit. If there is the appearance of a ripple to my finished surface, it’s not a big issue so long as its uniform since it’s likely to be only a few thousandths of an inch in variation. but this could indicate an out of tram situation that may need attention.

1 Like

For a new guy to the forums, its kinda disheartening to see these types of replies. If he searched and didnt find his answer…was he supposed to just give up? Guess if I ever have questions,i will be very careful when asking…

1 Like

I agree Erik. It’s not very welcoming to just lash out at newbies like that. It gives the forum the wrong (unfriendly) impression. On the other hand it’s probably very frustrating for someone who has been here a long time to see the same questions repeatedly. I’m not sure why the old timers feel that they “have” to post in those threads. Why not just move on and let someone else answer the newbies questions?

best-google-jokes-01a_zps758f504f

1 Like

I wanted to follow up with which bit I used and how it did on surfacing. I found another bit that I had in my collection that was almost brand new and looked like it would do the job. I’ve show the bit in the pictures and the end result of my surfacing run.

I ran the bit at 60 ipm with the dewalt set on 2. Took about an 1.5 hours. I had to run it twice due to a ‘stupid’ on my part right toward the end of the first run. The 1.5 hours does no include my oops.

Hope this helps someone,

Donnie

1 Like

Excellent choice Donnie :+1: I love all of my Bosch bits!

I don’t even bother posting in these forums because it has descended, as most eventually do (ive been on forums since the early 80s), into a handful of know it alls telling everyone else to use the search function rather than just helping. It makes for a negative experience and will chase off others who could contribute. If you don’t want to contribute, move on. Might be worth reviewing the community guidelines.

The guidelines tell you to SEARCH First. Besides being a pain in the butt answering these questions it clogs up the forum. If 50 people start a topic on bit for wasteboard leveling the poor guy that does search has to look through 50 threads to to find the info he needs.