Which is better? CamBam or Mach3 for smooth Easel workflow?

I’m about a week away from running my first few 2D projects on my xcarve. My real reason for buying one is to eventually do some 3D carving. I work in Zbrush and would like a program that will accept my STL files to generate g-code for Easel.

Does it matter which program generates the gcode for easel? Anyone have a preference on CAD/CAM software you recommend or I should avoid?

I’m leaning toward CamBam or possibly MeshCam instead of Mach3.

Here is a good example of the type of carvings I am hoping to achieve with my cnc: http://ow.ly/ep7q301IzSS

3D Model Formats

Cut3D includes powerful import filters that work with most of the industry standard mesh file formats.

3D CAD and Graphics Design software packages will typically include standard options for saving 3D models in at least one of the file formats supported by Cut3D. The commonly used design software products are,

Rhino3D
3D Studio
AutoCAD
Bobcad
ProEngineer
Solid Works
SolidEdge
Silo

The internet is a very useful source for 3D models with many web sites offering 3D clipart pieces. Many of these also offer Free models that can be used to test they work with Cut3D.

The 3D file types supported in Cut3D are

STL

STL Mesh files - binary & ascii
3DS

3D Studio - binary & ascii
DXF

AutoCAD 3D DXF
OBJ

Wavefront
SBP

ShopBot Digital Probe files
TXT

MaxNC Digital Probe
WRL

VRML
X

DirectX
LWO

LightWave
V3M

Vector Art 3D files

Kiri:Moto from @StewartAllen is what I love for using with STL files. It also has a gcode sender built in.

@RogerAndre thanks for that :wink: Kiri:Moto if anyone needs the direct link.