Which is Easel and which is not?

Good to know that. Thanks. A friend of mine used it and said the same thing. V carve by vectric looks good. Maybe next spring.

It’s mostly that I spent the technical learning resource (brainpower) I had on learning techniques in modeling/CAM toolpath generation in Fusion 360 and thus got lazy and wanted something that “just worked” for sending the GCode, so I have been using Easel just for that.

While I’m not normally afraid to dig in and figure things out I was put off UGS a bit by hearing that I needed to run a nightly build instead of stable, but then it wasn’t clear which nightly build to run (was there a build date that was better than others) and then the choice of the platform vs classic branch. It all triggered the “this isn’t what I want to be playing with right now” reaction. Plus I’m still not sure how end of carve and abort situations should be handled - in Easel if you cancel the carve it shuts down the router and lifts to a safe height for a cancel, and for a carve complete shuts down, lifts, and returns to home. I haven’t yet figured out what (if anything) I should do to make sure the router shuts off at the end of a carve for normal and abort conditions.

That’s one of the issues with Easel. One forum member had a problem using Easel as a G-code sender and if memory serves me correctly the issue was that Easel seems to have a built in Z safety height, which in his case was set very low, and at the beginning of this person’s carve the Z would immediately dig a hole in his material prior to starting the carve and proceeded to Work Zero plowing through the material.

He couldn’t find an error in his G-code, because the error was not in his G-code, but it was in Easel (operator error).

There is a setting for tool pull back I think ( might be called something else) , but it defaults back .1000 for the next tool. I just open the program in notepad and do a mass replace, when it’s needed. Never liked starting at .1000 either so I always manually change start and end heights to 1".

Both look good I wont to try carbide create too.

Hmm… I use Easel as my Gcode sender exclusively and have not had any problems. I have tried UGS and Chilipeppr and did not like either - do much to do to connect and then the major issue for me is that if you hit pause or abort, the job continues for while; in Easel, it pauses or stops on a dime.

That just stops the spindle, not X,Y, Z movement.

1 Like