Inventables Community Forum

Who does not like vbits

As far as I have able to tell so far the desktop version of Vcarve is almost exactly the same as the pro version except the desktop version limits the workspace to 24 inches by 24 inches.

The other Pro Features are:

Unlimited physical job or toolpath size (no 25” x 25” limit)
True Shape Nesting to optimize toolpath times & minimize material waste
Toolpath Templates to automate & re-use your toolpath strategies
Job Setup Sheets to automatically detail the required machine setup for each job
Merge Toolpaths to optimize cutting paths & minimise air moves
Scripting support to add your own custom functionality or to automate repetitive processes
Access to the Gadget library of downloadable plugins
Plate Layout to insert external data lists into your job designs
Rotary Axis – Wrapping support

Nice job, can you tell me about the bit , which type you use

After using a couple of different V Bits, I bought one of these http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6015-in-tech-series-insert-v-groove-router-bit.aspx and I’m most assuredly never going to use anything else for V Carving.

With the DeWalt router, this bit produces crisp clean cuts which thus far, I’ve never had to sand or clean up in any way at all. Using this bit has made a massive change to the work I’m producing. I’ve used it in hardwoods (Australian Jarrah), softwoods, Ply, MDF and polycarbonate, all with really good results.

If you’ve got a few $$ spare, I can thoroughly recommend this. I bought half a dozen spare inserts and the way it’s working at the moment, I’ll still have several of them left in 20 years. After several weeks of a fair amount of work (hobby work, not commercial work), I’m still using the same edge. Given that when the tip becomes blunt, I can simply rotate it and use the next corner, I’ve clearly bought too many spares.

Your mileage may vary, but this bit really did make a huge difference.

4 Likes

I wish they had a 60 degree. A lot of my v-carving is smaller. Still this is intriguing.

1 Like

Try this bit. All you need. You can attach any size you need. And it is great tool.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6009-in-groove-cnc-insert-engraving-tool-body-replacement-solid-carbide-insert-knives.aspx?&variantids=11445,0&keywords=AMS-210

5 Likes

Vbit usage is very important to me. As a paying “hobby”, I make end grain cutting boards and the inlays would definitely seat better using a Vbit. I primarily use the 30 degree in the inlay and helps to solidify a firm seating of the inlay and pocket.

2 Likes

Would you mind explaining how the inlays sit better? I thought v bits left a V shaped space in the bottom of the board. Do you just glue the inlay in place and assume there’s a space underneath?

A v bit will leave a pointed channel only if it is making a single pass in the material. As the walls of the channel are widened on additional passes the bottom of the cut becomes flattened.

Vectric has a good tutorial on inlays using thier software but the principals should be able to be applied to other programs as well.

2 Likes

All you need to do is unplug your usb to the Xcarve then plug it back in and Easel will reconnect. I have done this several times.
You do it just after you click on close button in USG
It resets the port and you do not have to reboot.
I am running windows 8 (or if you prefer windows hate)

Hi Allen,

great job, and great that I have found your messages! I went true the same steps like you I think :slight_smile:
I use the code G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 Z0 to zero the point of the tip, I will try your method to.
I have some problems with the plunging; for example a straight cut from a depth of 3 mm to a depth of zero.
From a wide line that runs out into a point.
What speeds are you using, do you have different speeds for the plunging and traveling speed of the bit.
I will try to upload a video later.
Warm greetings from Belgium, keep up the carving!

I am glad you having success with your machine!

I look forward to seeing your videos.

this is ON PATH outline carve?

what v-bit did you use here?
this is a FILL IN carve?
how’d you do the black painting?

Used a 90 degree vbit. Spray painted the cut black and used a belt sander to remove the overspray.

What degree bit is it