Will your cad software company own your files, too?

Here is a great article from Hackaday about the proliferation of online CAD software with link to a site with the legal arguments.

How many people read the EULA of their software? Most EULA have a clause that they can change it anytime they want to mean anything they want. Most people do not realize or understand that even though you paid for software, in most cases you do not even own the software but a license to use the software.

What this is about is the movement of online run software VS Personal Computer run software. Yes, user beware!

And the current ongoing debate from John Deere and Catepillar companies about who owns the firmware/software in their equipment and if you’re even allowed to do your own maintenance on that equipment. It’s seriously getting out of hand.

if I own the equipment, and i am capable , I’ll be da##ed if i am going to let some lawyer paper tell me that i cant perform my own maintainence. I look for this sort of thing and if I find that it is the case I take my business elsewhere. That is why I came to inventables from Next Wave Automation. I prefer to do my own repairs.

That’s why with every project you make in or use Easel for, you also export a copy of all the Gcode and save it locally. :wink:

A company can change the EULA. however they must tell you in advance so that you can choose to continue or cancel.
The problem with this is that some companies expect to change it and not tell you so they can sneak things in. This will cause you to have to go to court and prove they did not notify you. Its getting harder and harder to do that. Its digital and no way to prove without a dream team lawyers to really dig and that will cost you $$$$. This is what the lawyers like as they make a lot of money off of this.
I personally think that EULA changes should only take place when there is a version change. This would require you to agree in a much better fashion where your not caught off guard. It would prevent you from loosing your digital property.

If your really concerned there are a lot of information and references online to help you in deciding digital copy protections.
There are lawyers available for these types of issues.

For us the cost is not worth it.
I for one do not want to pay for protection against what I deem as hobby files. Experimental is where I am.
If I use a large company’s app such as Solid works and they claim stake to my model files. They can have them at this point. However if I am working in a small business then I would have to have them agree not to claim ownership of any of the digital content I create. I would have to pay for the protection and peace of mind. This is how it has been for a while. I am not at a level where I have to worry cause most of the stuff I am doing is not my original works. I am testing using other people’s stuff. This way I can focus on getting where I need to be prior to going pro. :slight_smile:

Are you saying you cannot export your designs out of Easel? I don’t use it, but I swear I saw Easel users sharing projects with people by exporting… SOMETHING. Is this really not possible? That would be LETHAL for my business - hobby or no hobby.

Wouldn’t hold my breath on that one.

The X-controller (last I checked) runs 1.0c

You can’t order the Arduino/gShield from Inventables anymore.

1 Like

Didn’t think about that. I just went by the kit order page.

Stands to reason they would stock replacement parts for a time period.

I guess where I was going with that is that, for Inventables, the Arduino/gShield is no longer the recommended product which would then follow that new development/enhancements would not be on the short list. Even more so for a company that has limited resources.

1 Like

@PhilJohnson

When you do try 1.0c, how about using mine. If you have issues then it would be easier for me to help you get it going.

[Edit] - sorry. I took this way off topic. Phil, when you’re ready to try 1.0c let’s start a new thread.

My meaning was they should and are supposed to out of courtesy but in reality they do not.
You have to read the EULA to make sure that if it changes you can keep up with it.
Most of them I have read says they can change it but they have to tell you they did.
If there is any dispute it goes to arbitration or court depending on what you agree upon.
The lawyers love this ambiguity so they can make money off of court costs. :frowning:

Here is a real world example that touches the edge of this issue.

One of the credit cards that I had was with a bank that got bought out by another bank. I got an updated terms and conditions for using the credit card account. I actually read it.

So, off to the new bank…

Me: Hi, I’d like to cancel my credit card account with you.

Service representative: Well, ok, do you mind telling me why you want to close the account?

Me: Don’t mind at all. There is a clause in the terms and conditions that is not acceptable to me.

Service representative: Would you show it to me?

Me: Sure, it’s right here.

Service representative: (reads the item in question). Looks up, with a shocked expression on her face and says “Oh, they would never do that”.

Me: Well, then why is it in the terms and conditions?

Service representative: I’ll help you close that account.

2 Likes