Wood is chipping

Is there a good wood to use that won’t chip out so much? I’ve tried 3 times to carve a navy veteran flag and the stars and some letters chip out. I’ve tried small bits and changed the pass and depth so it’s not so aggressive but it keeps chipping off like the layers that are glued seem to pop off and makes it look like crap. Just curious what is a good wood to use. The flag is 24”x12”. I am doing it at about and 1/8 total depth. So the passes and and speed I’ve adjusted a ways down from the “standard” and did a custom setting but still have chip out. Thanks

What type of wood are you using? I found any good hardwood works best. Oak, Maple, Walnut and having a good sharp bit helps.
Russell

3 Likes

Plywood is not a good carving material for text or detail.

3 Likes

It’s a birch plywood. 3/4”. Also using a brand new bit I got from amanna I think is how it’s spelled.

1 Like

I will try oak or walnut. Thank you for the help

1 Like

I agree about the hardwood, but if you are going to paint it after you might try poplar which carves and takes paint well.

It has several advantages, its1/2 to 1/3 the price of the other hardwoods. I have had good luck staining poplar to look like cherry. Poplar is often more available in thicker boards and wider boards, which would mean fewer seams in a glue up.

Remember to alternate the grain form one board to the next when you do the glue up to minimize the effects of cupping due to moisture changes.

1 Like