Wooden sign with precise text placement

David Picciuto the Drunken Woodworker, just posted a project detailing how to make a wooden sign while keeping all the text aligned. If you’ve ever tried making a sign like this with separate letter pieces, it can be pretty frustrating to get everything aligned properly.

This project shows a quick technique that keeps all the letters in the right place for a beautiful end result: Be Curious | Inventables

A favourite variant of this that I’ve seen is then just changing the carving on the same setup to cut out the letters in the base board, and inlay the letters! With the way Easel is set up, it’s crazy easy to do. :smile:

Yeah! I like that one too. I’m also thinking of making some hardboard spraypaint stencils…

For the longest time I couldn’t figure out what was going on in this project. Everyone owes it to themselves to watch until the last 1/4 of the video when the real “magic” happens. I had no idea that there is, honestly, one weird trick:

Carve almost all the way through then flip it over, glue it down and sand the back down.

It is a very similar same technique that you use with the digital paper cutting machines with transfer paper. Except the transfer paper is the thin bit of material you leave.