Workflow for homing (machine vs work coordinates)

Larry, Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and others in the forum. I have learned tons from those answers as well!!
I did not know there were all those slots to store coordinates on the arduino. I was refering to G28 for pre-homing or as a very specific use based on another post that mentions F360 using this same slot to store coordinates for this use only but as you mentioned any of those can be used if home is consistant across the board. I will try and learn to access these slots now. Is it as simple as just typing G55.1 to store and G55 to access the coordinates?

No, G28 and G30 use the G28.1 and G30.1 syntax.

Think of G54 through G59 as alternate Work Zero positions.

Use: (first home, then jog to the position you want to use as work zero, then enter the command)
G10 P0 L20 X0 Y0 Z0
G10 P1 L20 X0 Y0 Z0 These two set a Work Zero position in G54 (use just one either one)

G10 P2 L20 X0 Y0 Z0 This sets a Work Zero position in G55
G10 P3 L20 X0 Y0 Z0 This sets a Work Zero position in G56
etc.

Just change the P value to get which one you want to use.

Then you can switch Work Zero by just selecting the appropriate co-ordinate system.

The way I plan to use this capability is to have my spindle work zero in G54 and a laser work zero in G55. Since the laser will be at a fixed distance from the spindle I will be able to switch from one device to the other by just selecting the appropriate co-ordinates system for the device I want to use (either G54 - spindle G55 - laser ).

2 Likes