Workflow Fusion360->xcarve

I have set zero outside of the stock at a known location (I drill a 5mm deep hole there so I can reference X and Y), flat on the wasteboard - I just need to remember to move the tool up using the gcode software so it doesnt crash into the workpiece en route to where it starts cutting :relaxed:

When flipping over, I simply set the same location as zero (the flipped side is on a new setup and you can define a new WCS). I use a sketched line, that is the same length as the stock thickness to provide a point at which to set the second setups’ WCS. I am not sure if this is the best way, its just what I did.

Can anyone point me to the Fusion 360 post processor for Xcarve? I am wanting to send with UGS.

1 Like

http://easel.inventables.com/downloads

1 Like

Two-sided milling in Fusion 360, my first actual two-sided carve using a single 3D solid:

After spending a few hrs with F360 and simulations I finally had some time, and a part intended actual use, I made my preparations and let it rip.

File preparation:

As you can see there are two setups, one for each side and with 0/0/0 position at top center.
For Setup1 (top side) I have 3 operations which I can either run individually or generate one file with all three. Layer structure will define sequence and can be shuffled as seen fit. I did the LowerFlange first so I could screw it to the wasteboard before doing the outside cut out.

Once that sequence was done I jogged the spindle out of the way, flipped the piece and screwed it in tight and ran the carve from Setup2 (back side) This Setup contained only one operation and part complete :slight_smile:

End result, very happy. 6mm (about 1/4") 6082-T6 Alu stock:

3 Likes

That looks awesome. Well done. I need to get tool changes sorted too (I need to added limit switches and get the G28 thing sorted).

Me too, all done manually (tool change / zeroing) so far but on my wish-list!
So many things, so little time…

How accurate are you getting your zeroing done after a tool change? Please share your method.

My method is rather crude but work very well, I have a known position on the workpiece for X/Y/Z
I just jog the spindle to a position where I can change tool, jog back to X0/Y0 and reset Z at that point and continue with next sequence. Since X/Y do not change (steppers are energized 100% of the time) it is precise in that regard, I use a DVM/continuity meter to set Z0.

You can also add a second solid (vice, block / whatever) that you can use as reference. (or a zeroing block that you place on piece to be carved)

And if you dont want to deal with macros you can enter “G92 z0” in Easel Machine Command which will reset Z at its current position.

1 Like

Absolutely, Machine Inspector should be present at all times… :+1:

I’m using tinyG and chillipepper - I need to figure out how to do that still, I’m guessing there is a away. Thanks

Hi guys, just wondering if you might be able to help me.im trying to create a 3d polygon shape design in fusion 360?how do you do this?

I know I am a little late to the game here but I wanted to share an interesting way to make a faceted model in Fusion 360. Take a look at the video and let me know if you have any questions.

In Fusion 360 you can use the Sculpt environment to do some pretty cool things like this.

3 Likes